Lucidia- World of Dreams

Lucidia: World of Dreams was a concept on a 2009 D&D campaign I created for myself and my friends that I later developed into a Magic set. It was lost until I rediscovered it this summer while spring-cleaning a very old email account, and I revived it, updated it, and here it is!

Full Set: 230 cards (250 minus 20 basic lands)

Returning Mechanics:
Scry

New Mechanics:
- Growth X (At the beginning of your upkeep, put X +1/+1 counters on this creature) *Funny enough, my original name for this was Evolve, but Wizards went for it with their own great mechanic*

- Infiltrate (As long as this permanent is on the battlefield, target opponent reveals a non-revealed card from their hand). The card must be visible at all times--if the card is replaced from the hand, such as by a brainstorm effect, the Infiltrate trigger fizzles and a new card does not have to be revealed.

- Augment (This spell's casting cost may be paid for using any colored mana)- *This was my favorite mechanic. It creates a lot of wild situations in imagining its potential in constructed and limited, but there are drawbacks for each augmented card if the original cost of the card is not paid.

Creature types: Lucidia is a human-dominated plane, but other unique tribes are tortoises, mice, dolphins, and foxes, with other creatures as well.

Story:
Every living thing on Earth is simultaneously knocked unconscious to a temporal event known as the TimeScape. After sometime, everyone awakens scattered on a dream world. Those who did not survive the transition, for whatever circumstance, were lost, but the survivors quickly had to learn to make their way in this new plane. The plant and animal life also came over in the TimeScape--however, nature was very different for them--as many of them underwent radical changes. Maybe this was a sign for humans to pay attention to...

In time, the earliest settlement near the equatorial center of the plane was established and the city of Pylat was founded, and the Ordinance was formed in assigning jobs and policing the citizens who traveled there. News of the settlement spread quickly, and many who seeked a promising life while waiting to one day return home made the trek. Others, who established their own settlements and seeked power for themselves either remained in isolation or sought to destroy Pylat and establish dominance.

Eventually, the scientists in Pylat discovered an essence existing on Lucidia, coinciding with all living energy, called the Prism. Essence from the Prism could be manipulated and modeled to create new, mysterious magic. While a select few were chosen to handle the mysteries of the Prism and how it could help humanity, others sought to understand for their own personal agenda.

The larger story follows the adventures of five friends, who survived the TimeScape, separated on Lucidia and journeying to find their loved ones and each other. In their travels, they each explore the mysteries of the Prism on their own and interpret their own purpose in using it.

Coming Soon- The second set in the Lucidia Block: Reality's Edge

Thanks for taking the time the read, everybody--appreciate it!
~S.P.

Comments

• Well, this looks neat. Congratulations on having built a full set, they're always crazy undertakings and it's nice to see them when they're done. Under the assumption that you might be interested in a little bit of feedback, here's a second opinion at a glance. Note that I haven't looked at every card in detail, so some of these points might just be wrong.

Before this, I'm just going to apologise if I sound a little too critical. I tend to focus on the bad over the good, because I always prefer to hear the bad so that I can fix it. Here we go, starting with the mechanics:

- The Growth mechanic seems like it could be potentially iffy (leading to creatures that get too powerful too fast in limited formats, mostly) but looks like it's been handled well. All of the cards I saw using it had appropriately low numbers for the X, and sufficiently high costs accordingly. It has an issue that I'll cover a little later.

- Infiltrate has some issues, all of which centre around how incredibly minimal it is. In the vast majority of cases, infiltrate practically reads "Your opponent reveals a land card from their hand. They probably play it next turn anyway". Seeing a single card just isn't worth much, especially when it's chosen by the opponent (and so is their least-valuable-to-know card). The "remains revealed" thing is only relevant with multiple infiltrate cards, and I get the sense that there just aren't enough of them for that to be important. 

It's possible that there are cards somewhere in the set that benefit from infiltrations, but I couldn't find them. I guess a final point would be that there are cards where, for two or three mana, I can get a creature and make the opponent reveal their entire hand. Infiltrate just feels like a mechanic that you've valued too highly, when what it does is incredibly minimal to the point of being trinket text. There's also one other, minor issue with the mechanic, which I'll get to in a moment.

- Finally, Augment. I'll start by pointing out that this is a name shared by a real mechanic from the Unstable set. This mechanic does have an issue, though, which I'll link in with that issue I said I'd say later for the other two and a wider issue in the set...

Color Pie Issues

I'll run through each aspect of this in turn:

- Growth only fits into some colors. Green, definitely. Black and white, possibly. Red and blue? Less so. Despite this, it can be seen on a handful of cards where it really doesn't fit.

- Infiltrate only really fits into blue, but also seems to appear in other colors. Blue's the only color that checks hands (black also does, but it does as a side effect of selective discard effects). Despite this, I get the sense that it appears more in non-blue colors than it does in blue.

- Augment. It's a cool concept, but it brings about so many color pie breaks if handled improperly, and that looks like the problem. Red is the only color that should get access to cheap ground-based damage effects like Pyroclasm. Unsettling Tremor acts as a strictly better Pyroclasm. In any color, including the ones that really can't be trusted with access to cheap boardwipes like this. Some colors shouldn't have ramp? Renewed Territory. Huge walls of defensive lifegain? Giant Blackcrest. Some augment cards are fine, because they're pretty generic or pretty useless without the augmentation, but others do things without that shouldn't be done.

Augment has one other issue that I'll mention briefly along these lines, which is that many cards with it have way too many colored mana symbols, so you can basically never play them unless you're mono-colored or use the augmentation (which may have a large downside).

- Finally, there are just a few general color pie anomalies in the set as a whole. Blue having first strike is the main one that catches my eye.

Well, that's that done. Since it didn't really fit into any of the things above, a final point would be that the power level seems a bit all-over-the-place. Again, sorry if this seems overly focused on the bad, I just tend to do that.
  • Not too critical at all! I appreciate the time you put into this.

My response in regards to some of the points:

Growth: I'm glad I was able to find a good balance between P/T and casting cost.

Infiltrate: I have a couple of cards planned in "Reality's Edge" that will build more off of more advantages to having multiple Infiltrate cards, such as other conditions that affect spell casting or board manipulation.

Augment and the Color Pie: What I was going for (and what I detailed more in my campaign/story) is that the colors in this dreamland at the start are fluid and "bleed" into each other. Wanting to directly convert Earth into a fantasy plane using the same population, I felt the want to have everything blend and be undefined. In Reality's Edge, I wanted to create more structure (colors identifying with abilities more and become more unique with only one or two out of place), as well as also create a story between those discovering the power of the Prism (allied color combinations) vs. Millar's quest to become independent of color (Colorless spells).

But I completely understand your opinion, I respect it, and again, I appreciate it tremendously. Thanks once more so much,
    ~SP
  • This is AMAZING. The main thing I suggest would just be making augment less of the same color mana. It really is hard to put these cards in multicolor decks. Otherwise, there's really nothing I can point out that wasn't already mentioned.
This discussion has been closed.