Weekly Challenge: A ??? appeared! Week 3! (due Monday the 13th)

Comments

• Alrighty everyone, I'm liking what I'm seeing so far. Remember the deadline is tonight at midnight EST (that's 9 hours from now if you're not on the east coast).

If you'd like an extension of 24 hours, contact me BEFORE time runs out with a private message.
  • AND TIME: Thank you all for your submissions. I'll have the winner selected in the next day or two. In the mean time, I'll get things set up for the 2nd week in just a few short minutes.
  • Week 2 challenge START:

The town of Dimt Valley, at long last. Exhausted, you stumble your way to the nearest inn and slur your way into getting a room for the night. The bed is hard and the sheets are musky, but to you this is the most comfortable thing you’ve rested on all day. Sleep comes almost instantaneous, many hours past, and you wake up far past the break of day.

With a sharp yawn you awaken, and fumble into fresh clothes. You open up your sack and gorge on fresh bread and berries. You then thank the innkeeper and emerge to a sprawling unknown townscape. Before anything else, you go to the nearest trading post and purchase a map; you were eager to not have a repeat of last night. Still, fortune has brought you to a new place and this is why you decided to leave home. You decided to take advantage of the situation and explore this fresh perspective.

You find that the town is holding a festival tonight, decoration are being hung up of bright orange and jet black. Large fruits you’ve never seen before are strung about the market and houses. You see a banner being lifted above, “Dimt Valey’s 26th Hardvast Festivaul”. You give yourself a chuckle and decide this might be a spectacular sight to see. You wander about till the sun starts to set.

When the final speck of day disappears under the horizon, a new light erupts in front of you. A massive bonfire rises up to a roar of applause. You walk around, checking out the various stalls. You think of buying a trinket, but decide against it; your purse is small and you have to carry everything you buy. Still, you want something to remember this night and spy something that might fit the bill. You approach a tent that reads “Fortunes told: 5 gold.”

Entering the tent, the merriment and laughter diminishes into an eerie quiet. You approach up to a table, but no one is there. You look around, wondering if the person reading fortunes is out. You turn back to the center of the room and where there wasn’t a soul before… A SWAMI APPEARS!!!

You jump, startled by the sudden appearance. The elderly woman speaks in a soothing, but mysterious voice, “Welcome young one, I know why you’re here and I know what you crave. Adventure, treasure, romance: the desires of a wandering mage.” You turn your head sheepishly, you hadn’t really thought of it like that; but in a way she was right. The swami continues, “I can offer a glimpse into what your future holds; perhaps a clue to your next great discovery.” She then reaches out her hand, pale and bony; almost more so then the skeleton. “For a simple fee.” Of course…

You drop the 5 coins into her palm and she places them up her sleeve. Materializing a crystal ball, she looks deeply into it. “Oooo oh dear… deary me; I see a perilous journey for you. A legion of horrible mad priests is in hot pursuit of you. You’re clutching a sack and running for your very lives.” The swami gasps, “you find yourself trapped on all sides. You look desperate…” You start to peer in closer and you see the scene unfolding before your eyes. “… and take out an idol from the sack, an effigy of their terrible god and bring its power into yourself. In a single wave of your hand…” You start to sweat, taken aback by the horrible deeds you see yourself performing, and start to feel dizzy. “… they all turn to dust.”

You see the swami’s face in the reflection of the ball curl into a wicked grin. “and you will return this idle, to me.” You finally realize what’s happening, she’s using mind control on you! You start to feel the world spin and go black… in a single moment of clarity you utter a single phrase…
  • edited October 2017
    I'm glad you enjoyed your walk through easy street on the first encounter. Now you must figure out a way to overcome mind enslavement and a fate worse then death.

• edited October 2017
    First off, thank you one and all for this first week of submissions. I saw a lot of beautiful choices in artwork, and some rather interesting solutions to the problem of lord ashbrace. It was a bit tight for me to pick a winner, but the most creative card shined through.

@East2West is this week's winner with Volatile Landscape. I liked the artwork and the humor of the card, but most of all I liked how the card was able to completely counter lord ashbrace in an unorthodox way. Plus the more I think about it, this card honestly has a lot of potential as a real card.

and for the honorable mention, we have @Brainifer with Miremancer's Gambit. I especially liked the artwork and the naming of the card. The card itself also took a more unique approach to the challenge. What kept it out of the #1 was simply the card was a bit overcosted for what it did. 6 mana, 3 colors and the requirement of having a bit of graveyard set up is just a bit much for what it does.

@East2West you've won 2 favorites of your choice and @Brainfer you've won a favorite of your choice

Once again thanks for everyone's first week submissions. Week 2 has already begun and the clock is ticking. Best of luck to all next week!
  • edited October 2017
  • edited November 2017
  • edited November 2017
    Entry removed.
  • edited November 2017
  • edited November 2017
    It can attack the turn prior to controlled so that it's still guaranteed. And if they attack with it then you can create a scenario where it lives before it even attacks. The second ability is self explanatory. (the cool part is that when you attack, the second ability is no longer on the battlefield for a turn. Making your creatures (and you) more vulnerable to spells but also letting you cast spells on yourself and creatures you control)
  • edited November 2017
  • edited November 2017
  • edited October 2017
  • edited November 2017
  • edited November 2017
    Alrighty, looking good so far. Remember tomorrow at midnight (12 am EST) is the last day, if you want an extension, PM me.
  • Also I am going to drop a quick rule for people about the rule for controlling another player in regards to a skipped turn. Again if you need more time adjust your cards, PM me.

"714.1b If a turn is skipped, any pending player-controlling effects wait until the player who would be affected actually takes a turn."

Comprehensive rules, page 157, sentence 1.
  • @Baron-777 ouch, that means cards that skip turns are actually pointless, lol
  • Alright, here's my new entry
    I won't be kicking it.
  • https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/assert-self
    This is the kind of card I'm supposed to post, right?
  • AND TIME! I'll get to work judging and also getting the next submission out.
  • Many apologizes to all for the delay at getting week 3's challenge out. Since I was in the wrong, I'm going to extend the date for when cards need to be submitted by. Instead of needing the cards to be submitted by midnight on the 10th, instead have them ready by midnight on the 13th (Next Monday)

I'll be submitting the backstory pretty soon. But for now, here's your challenge. Passing the dreaded mountain of Raann, which also happens to be sentient.

• Also, if you wouldn't mind when you're submitting your cards if you've enjoyed this weekly challenge contest and if you'd like to see more in the future.
This discussion has been closed.