Circuit contest, 3rd: Theros and its flavours.

This weeks contest: The flavour of Theros!

Please do read the entire thread, arduous as it may be.

Flavour will be EVERYTHING in this contest. I don't care if the card is "weak" as long as it has a good reason for being weak, be it because the card depicts a young, small boy or because you intentionally moderated the card to be so.

A few requirements.

Things that you must do, or your entry will be DQ'ed:

- The card must feel like it could've been part of the sets set (!) in Theros. This is slightly subjective, and I will make sure to be large on the matter.
- Must have either of the three matching set symbols (Theros, Born of the Gods, Journey Into Nyx)

Things that will otherwise get your card DQ'ed:

- Colorless cards.
- Tri-, and/or Quadcolored cards. Theros held a single pentacolored card, Chronomanticore, which is why I will allow it for EXTREME flavour reasons.
- Cards containing the subtype "God". No gods. I know you want to. No. Nuh-uh. :3
- No other supertypes than legendary, please.
- I may have missed something obscure that some unlucky smith may happen upon. In case that happens, I will let the respective smith know immediately.

Additionally:
- ONLY NEW CARDS! Every card submitted must be made for the purpose of this contest, to show off your card magic skills and innovations.
- The card must be "serious" - That means serious art, serious name, "serious" flavour text. No breaking the fourth wall.
- Maximum two entries per smith.
- You may revise a card an endless amount of times and resubmit it, as long as it sticks with the concept of the original card entered. I advise you all to enter a "set" so that new revisions do not fill up the thread. On the day of judging, I will simply gather all the entries in a single browser, so I will never miss a revision. Trust me.

- The contest ends the 3rd of February, 2 pm (CET). Winners will be announced some time the same day.
Yes - I know I have given you only a short window of opportunity this time, and for that I am sorry, but the contest this time is fairly simple, and I am certain you can all come up with something in time! I do this in order to keep my time schedule after the last contest ran a bit longer than it should!

Prizes, 1st revision:

1st place: You have two options. You may pick two cards in one category or one in each.

Option 1: I will help you create up to two cards. In any way. I will help you until you feel the card is finalized. This means you do not have a pre-existing idea, but you can use my help to find one, if you wish. I will provide feedback until you are satisfied with the card, or until a week from the ending date of this contest.

Option 2: Ask me to provide feedback for up to two pre-existing cards. I believe most people may want to do this, but time will tell. I will provide feedback until you are satisfied with the card, or until a week from the ending date of this contest.

Nominate five of your cards and I will put a favourite on at least three of them.

Two circuit points.

2nd place: Same as the winner, except only 1 card in total in either category. You may also nominate five cards with two guaranteed favourites. One circuit point.

3rd place: Same as the winner, except only 1 card in total in either category. You may also nominate five cards with one guaranteed favourite. One circuit point.

4th place: Same as the winner, except only 1 card in total in either category. You may also nominate five cards, though nothing is guaranteed. One circuit point.

Each prize goes to a CARD - This means you can potentially take both the 1st and 2nd spot, for example.

IMPORTANT: All prizes must be "turned in" latest one week from the ending date of this contest. I am sorry, but, after just a few contest, I have concluded that a lot of people enter, and a lot of different people win (with more to come!) and it is quite the time consuming thing to get around to everyone :)!
So in the effort of keeping the core-concept of my prizes to "something else than favourites", this is my solution. I may change it later, should it prove to be a bad idea.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want a contest included in the circuit, let me know a bit beforehand; Every card-smith is allowed one contest per month in the circuit, but the contests must meet a "minimum-effort" criteria:
At least 1 week duration.
Must have at least 5 individual card-smiths participate.
Must have prizes. What they are is up to you, but "bragging rights" does not count. Other things may not count either.

Additionally, you must conclude your contest with winners; prizes dispensed.
I also ask to be allowed to co-judge - Not necessarily have any "actual" say, but I want to be able to look over the cards you intend to let win, just so I can check for broken interactions and such. I will do minimal to influence you otherwise, in order to keep the circuit as unbiased as possible. I will never partake in any circuit-related contests.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would like to ask for two co-judges, by the way. No more, no less.
The reason I ask for two, is that I want the co-judges to be able to participate themselves, so that it may not need to be the same judges every time. By doing so, I am looking to add more integrity to the judging process; A single man with all the say on a matter will never be unbiased and properly judged.

I need you to be dependable on the day of judging. We judge and release the winners on the same day as the contest ends.

If you are interested in helping me judge (Permanently, or just this time), send a message to me on these forums.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for reading this far!

Furthermore, I would like extend a plead to everyone on the site whom have had a poor experience with me one way or another - I wish for as many people as possible to compete in the circuit, and I fear that some of my own shortcomings and unlucky missteps may have deterred some people from participating, thinking they would not stand a chance, purely because I am the lone judge (for now).
To those who may believe themselves in this category, I just want to say: I would never do that. While we may not see eye to eye on all (or most) things, I would never judge people's cards based on my own personal opinion - Whether custom creation is your passion, your somewhat-invested pastime, your just-for-fun distraction, I would never look down upon it, mock it (and have I ever done that, I apologize) or lessens its chances for that reason.

Sincerely, Grimshac

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top8 people in the circuit will be invited to special contests once a month and the winner of said contest will receive a personalized tribute card made for them in my "Circuit Trophies".
Winning a weekly contest also givens an "emblem" token in my weekly-trophies set.

There will always be at least one contest a week in the circuit, going wednesday to wednesday. This means that, right now, there will be the possibility for a maximum of 12 circuit points, if you win 1st and 2nd place in every challenge hosted by me (Assuming no one else joins in).

One "Circuit Cycle" is four weekly contests. Every Circuit Cycle ends with a monthly "Circuit Contest". So far, there is no planned date for a "reset" of the ladder, but it will happen eventually.

The current standings are as follows:

@Koover - 2 points
@Cadstar369 - 2 points
@Animist - 2 points
@kkarn - 1 point
@Mana_M0nger - 1 point
@Faiths_Guide - 1 point
@Cryptonight - 1 points

Comments

This discussion has been closed.