Tips and tricks for making a deck

Does anyone have any tricks they do to make good decks? I've recently been flopping around in terms of deck building.

Also do you guys have a strategy for making 3 colored decks? I've been trying to make one for a long time but I can never perfect my mana curve.

Comments

• The basic, and I mean very basic thing you should always keep in mind is to stay on track when you build a deck. Too many people I've seen over the years get lost in trying to fit all the cool cards into one deck. Have a purpose, find the theme, build the theme... see what does and does not work and don't be afraid to toss a card that you really like if it's only in the deck because you like it.
  • Yeah. I threw a Uvenwald Hydra into my UG Control because why not, and I played a game the next day and It grew into a 13/13. (It is a very landy deck.)
  • For three color decks, my experience is that dual lands are your friend. I run a sliver deck with two each of the scry lands, and even at five colors, I'm never stuck wanting a color I can't produce. Dual lands are INCREDIBLY helpful.
  • Yeah. I'm making a W/B/R and currently it has 2 of the B/R dual lands from otg, and the W/B and the W/R from Soi. And then some of the basic lands.
    Is putting nightmare in my deck worth it? His P/T is equal to the number of swamps I control, but getting a certain basic land in that deck would be hard, considering it right now has only 1 fetch land.
  • Remember the basic rule... stick to the plan... Nightmare is stronger when you only have 1 type of land, going 3 colors diversifies your land and makes Nightmare a cool card that you want to use, not a card that fits in the deck
  • edited April 2016
    If you are going for a serious deck to win super competitive games, like the tournament that winners can get tons of booster packs and invitation to the next tournament in the foreign country, I think having a good play group is the best.

These are things I do with my playgroup when we seriously try to take over the world.
    - Invite at least 4 persons at once when you play. Each person must use a different archetype deck.
    - Use many proxies of cards you think they are likely to be used in the competitive games.
    - All player play their hands revealed, and discuss about all things that happens on the table. Do not play to be the best player in the play group. Play to study and analyze the current meta with your friends.
    - Practice 100% concentrate.
    - Borrow expensive cards if you need them to build a deck to bring to the tournament.
    - If someone in your group win, that winner must share all prize(booster packs) with your group!
  • I just made the W/B/R first draft. It is an aggro that focuses on insta-damage. Should I buy a nahiri (new one) for it?
This discussion has been closed.