Contest: What has saved you?

My father, Mark, is my hero. My idol. My angel. My best friend. He has saved my life, in ways I can't describe. He has provided for me and 4 other siblings through thick and thin with a smile on his face and not asking for a penny in return. He is uplifting, confident, and forever loving. There is nothing more in the world that he cares to be more than a servant to those he loves. He is nearly in his 70's and still working, purely to provide a comfortable life for his family and wife, so that no one else need stress or worry. He is wonderful, friendly to a fault, angel to the very end.

This brings me to the contest I want to offer to you all. What has saved you in your life? And this can be for something great or small, personal or public. Something as simple as food, as poetic as music, as loving as a family member, and grand as God or small as mice. Is there a Music genre that brought you out of depression? Is there a soldier that took a bullet for you? Is there a pet animal that lifts your spirits? The topic is brought and wide, open to many ideas and conversation.

Contest will start 6 / 11 / 2020, end 6 / 18 / 2020.

Winners will get: 1st- A commissioned Card and 5 favorites. 2nd- A commissioned card and 2 favorites. 3rd- 2 favorites.

This is my very first run at trying this kinda thing, criticism is welcome. If I've done something wrong, please let a Mod know and tell me, I'll shut this down if need be. Just wanted to provoke some good vibes.

Comments

• Oh, thank you. You have saved me. I have needed something to do!
  • Heh, glad to be of service, sir.
  • My friends have always been my heroes, wether pushing me to achieve something, or helping me out in a time of need. They've been for me in Depression, Sadness, and Anger. Thank you to all of you!

• Does that include me @SNAPcreator7?

• Music and theater. They are what makes the world go 'round.
  • Your card isn't there.
  • Choose one{line}
  • DANG IT.
    VASHETI.
  • edited June 2020
    Thanks so awesome, @SNAPcreator7 ! i never had many friends growing up, but the ones i do have i cherish and hold on to tight. Good on you for supporting your friends!

@LordTachanka123 I love it! Does this mean you're a bard, yourself? Thats just gosh dang cool!
  • edited June 2020
    On Inspiring Ballad:

THAT IS BROKEN.

A potential boardwipe/mass lifegain for three? That probably has to cost more...

Here's my entry, based off the promise of Paradise:

https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/the-veiled-haven

Second entry, for CATS!

https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/ihmar-nonreality-virtuoso?list=user

Veiled Haven^^

This helps me through times that are rough. The haven represents a place in my imagination that I can go to when... bad things happen around me.

Ihmar ^^

Cats always seem to cheer me up.
  • @LordTachanka123 I recommend using some sort of kicker to balance it.
    ---
    Blazing Ballad   2R
    Sorcery
    -
    Kicker 2B and/or W

Blazing Ballad deals 2 damage to all creatures.

If Blazing Ballad was kicked with its 2B kicker, it gains deathtouch.

If Blazing ballad was kicked with its W kicker, it gains lifelink.
    ---
  • @LordTachanka123 lol you really need to figure out the card posting thing (no offense intended, I'm having issues too atm actually).
  • @The-DM

You do realize the Veiled Haven is just as broken as Inspiring Ballad, if not moreso, right?
  • @Arceus8523 it's not even close actually, the Veiled Haven would probably be the strongest card in Magic, right? Def beats black lotus, at least in a Jeskai deck (obviously there's no artifacty synergies, but in a vacuum it's a stronger card.
  • edited June 2020
    @Arceus8523  Ha ha, flavor wise, it's supposed to be. My haven is very broken and in limbo, yet it's very peaceful and serene.
  • @SteampunkDragon
    It's not supposed to be an artifact. It just looks better than the actual land frame.
  • @The-DM I said that because one of the reasons black lotus is so good is because it can be abused with artifact synergies, which wouldn't apply to Veiled Haven.
  • Up until this year, I was plagued with a sort of apathy for the world. I didn't really know what I wanted, my attention span was short, and I didn't really have passion for anything. Last summer, just about a year ago now, I took a classical photography class. I didn't have a camera, so a family friend loaned me a camera: the Minolta SRT 101. I fell in love with it immediately. I'd always been a decent photographer, but it had never really been something I was heavily interested in. But being able to use the Minolta, it was a truly eye opening experience. I felt so much more in touch with the photographs I was taking, and I began to enjoy and take pride in the art I was creating. I borrowed the camera several more times, until, in February of this year, it was gifted to me as a birthday present. I used it on my birthday and went out with some friends to take pictures at a scenic location, and I count that day as the best day I ever had. So yeah.

https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/minolta-srt-101
    https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/usaername-of-found-purpose
  • edited June 2020
    @The-DM I completely relate to the veiled haven. I have my own problems, with what seams to be constant desires to hurt myself, but there are places i can find peace and they are indeed a saving grace.

@Usaername Aww, thats so sweet! My mother loves taking pictures with her phone, she used to have a proper Canon but that got stolen. She especially loves pictures of the sunrise and set, with the pretty pinks and golds.

@Fallen_Lord_Vulganos Thats an awesome card and mechanic! Whats the story behind it?
  • edited June 2020
    @Volos An imaginary thought born out of meaningless depression and poor life condition of a certain nobody. A reflection of a void made manifest.

But one day they would finally earn their quick demise, leaving this accursed existence towards the endless cosmos of multiverse. To become nothing, to earn their final peace...
  • @Fallen_Lord_Vulganos I feel emotionally attached to this card. I've been a ghost most my school life, pretty much entirely ignored, not even bullied. I have terrible, terrible self-conscious issues that i must take medication for, and i daily battle with desires to hurt myself, due to one medical condition or another. But I'm still here. Still alive. Moving forward with not even a natural instinct to want to survive, i have to fight for that.

In part, this card represents why i started this challenge. I was in a deep depression, and i wanted out. so i tried to look at the blessings in my life, the good things. First that came to me, was the man i printed on the opening card, Mark. Doing so made me feel good, feel alive. Felt like WANTING to live. And that was something i guess i wanted to try and share.
  • edited June 2020
    @Volos Good to know it then. Wish you and your family luck, boss.

Someday if I could get out from this hellhole of a life, someday...
  • @Volos that's really brave of you to share. I struggled with similar (albiet less intense) things for a while, and still do to an extent today. I'm really glad that this contest is doing good for you. :)
  • @Fallen_Lord_Vulganos I wish  you all the luck in the world, friend. Give me a hollar if you need someone to vent on.

@Usaername Thanks bud, sorry if i spoke too much, i have a tendency to blabber, hah. Hope you get better with your own struggles
  • Just to keep the topic alive, Here's another card i made for a best friend a while ago, who has given me courage and a willingness to stay on this mortal plane a little longer.

Keep your friends close, keep them happy. Don't lose them due to lack of comunication, talk with them often,  send them texts, send them gifts, send them love. You'll receive your karma in kind, i promise you.
  • I'll post
This discussion has been closed.