EvoSmith // FORGE AN ECOSYSTEM // (Closed for new entries - if you already applied, then HOLD TIGHT)

edited December 2020 in Contests and Challenges

Happy Evolution Day! This is the day where the first edition of the Origin of Species (by Means of Natural Selection, or the Preservation of Favoured Races in the Struggle for Lifewas released. The time has come for me to try hosting something I've wanted to do for a VERY long time. 

Inspired by the CustomStart challenge hosted by our very own @ningyounk, we bring to you...

EVOSMITH!

Disclaimer: 
This contest is pretty out there in terms of rules complexity, so do be aware that you can find both a walkthrough and a TL;DR located at the end of this post.

So how does this work? Well...

Step 1: Announce your participation.

Step 2: I will prove you with two sets of five cards: 

Five random lands from the breadth of magic. For example:

And five random cards to represent destructive cataclysms. For example:

Step 3: You pick one land and one cataclysm. This sets up a scenario.

Step 4: We write the prelude to the entry. We provide you with five creatures from magic's history that represent the biological ecosystem of said land card. The cataclysm represents the change being made to the ecosystem itself.

Step 5: Finally! Your actual entry! 

You are required to make 5 new creatures, representing the new animals that inhabit the now changed land.

At the end of the contest, I shall rank all ecosystems in relation to others, using these criteria:

10 out of 30 =>   The Biological Factor!  Does this make sense from a scientific, or at least pseudo-scientific standpoint?

8 out of 30 =>   The Balance Factor!  Are these cards balanced? Could they be reasonably be printed without blowing up the eternal formats? (Ignoring Standard, since I am NOT touching that)

7 out of 30 =>  The Innovation Factor!  Are these cards interesting? Do they represent lifeforms in a way that changes Magic?

5 out of 30 =>  The Aesthetics Factor!  Are these cards well formatted? Is the art well picked? Can I look at them without my eyes bleeding?

AND PRIZES SHALL BE AWARDED ACCORDINGLY!

The contest ends a month from now - on christmas night, 24th of December. Balance all of that delicious science with some faith, shall we?

TL:DR -> I show you two sets of cards, you pick one from each, I give you some creatures, you make new versions of those creatures in accord with the cards you picked.

Happy Smithing, should you choose to accept this great task. And if you choose not to... Still Happy Smithing! 'Tis the season, after all.

Comments

• Yay! I shall announce my participation :smile:
  • I would like to announce my participation. I love speculative evolution and artificial life simulators, having made several myself. This seems like a lot of fun!
  • @shadow123 @RandomFandom

Wow, already! I didn't expect this to garner such demand. I will have your packets ready as soon as comes morn' in my timezone.
  • In the last version of this, I mentioned I was a creationist. I actually would like to clarify that that only extends to that I don't believe that things like people and crocodiles could evolve from pond scum without outside assistance.
  • I would like to enter though, this is a very unique idea.
  • I wish to join aswell; while I'm usually against contests, this does seem like a rather innovative contest.
  • I'm interested as well
  • I will announce my participation.
  • edited November 2020
    I get a random nonbasic land, but what is your list for Catastrophes?
  • I'm in! Sounds cool!
  • edited November 2020
    Absolutely going to be in. Hit me up!

As in I am formally entering in.
  • edited November 2020
    @HeroKP I think you've got your work cut out for you  :D
  • @shadow123 ;

Lands: 

Calamities:

This will sure be an interesting one. Good luck!
  • @RandomFandom

Lands: 

Calamities:

Some truly depressing landscapes for your lands there. Especially that last one...

Good luck!
  • @KorandAngels

Lands: 

Calamities:

I just had a thought. Why waste a perfectly good set of RNG? I think you'll like these packs anyway - some choice locales and events, if I do say so myself!
  • I will try to serve everyone ASAP!
  • @HeroKP

Oooh! Yes!

I'll choose Tree of Tales and Wave of Vitrol:

• edited November 2020
    I pick Calciform Pools and Magmatic Core.
  • I would like to announce my participation! :)

• Awesome idea by the way @HeroKP!
  • This is really cool and I wish I had time to participate...
  • I choose Vivid Meadow and Bramblecrush.
  • @Potato13

Lands: 

Calamities:

How vibrant! All kinds of colours all up in this piece!

Good luck!
  • @shadow123

CREATURES:

Tel-Jiad. The tree inscribed with Mirrodin's history. It is surrounded by a forest of alike metalkwork trees, who within them house a variety of different wonderful beasts.

Packs of wolves lay waiting in the shade, feasting on Myr and other curious creatures that wonder nearby.

Their ambush is silent, the only sound around being the distinctive crackle of the hard-shelled needlebugs.

This wood is also on the migration path of a few Arachnoid rovers, who feed on the flying critters above.

You will also spot a few Brown Ouphes - feeding on most everything they can get their grubby fangs in.

All is accentuated by the mystical family of Ageless Entities, protecting the tangle directly.

Yet not all is fine in Tel-Jiad.

Anything that is more machine that animal shall be demolished. The caustic slime eats at the metallic bark of the trees. So I ask you. How can this order survive?

Poetry  Metal Gaia  Fantasy landscape Fantasy art Fantasy artwork
  • @KorandAngels

CREATURES:

The Calciform Expanse is found in a space between worlds. For as far as the eye can see, there is a white expanse dotted with pools of crystal blue water, venting up from the subterranean ocean below.

Dominarian golems wander the landscape, desperate for any spark of magic or electricity that can keep them alive.

In the pools, squirm schools of Eels, coming here to spawn before continuing life in the ocean below.

The Eels are sometimes plagued by parasites, hungry for their precious electricity, including Brass Gnats.

Gnats are quickly gobbled up by Frogmites, away from their native Mirrodin and hungry for flying bugs.

And above it all soar the Kestrels. What goes on in their bird brains? There are few who know.

Yet the water is getting hotter.

Even below the ocean, beats a heart of steel, a heart of flame. The pools begin to steam, and a smell of sulfur fills the air. How can this order survive?

Old Faithful Geyser Watercolor Painting Painting by Mike Theuer
  • @HeroKP , I pick Geothermal Crevice as my landscape, and my Calamity chosen is Paradoxical Haze.
This discussion has been closed.