2020 Card of the Year

We're opening up nominations for the community to choose the top card(s) created this year. Nominations will close January 7th.

Rules:
Nominated card must have been created (not edited) this year, 2020.
You can only nominate one card and it must be made by another cardsmith (not you).
Only your first nomination in the thread will be counted, but you can edit your message if needed.

After nominations close, judges will select the top 8 cards to hold a community vote on.
The top three winners from the vote get a secret physical prize (hint - you'll get a boost when you see it).

Once the top 8 have been selected, we will open up voting.

Thank you all for spending time with us in such a difficult year, we look forward to 2021 being a vast improvementon last year! Good luck!

Winners must be age 13 or older in order to receive a prize. Previous official contest winning cards are not eligible, sorry. Each entrant authorizes their card submission & username for contest and future promotional use by MTG Cardsmith. By following the contest entry steps listed here you agree to the terms and rules of the contest. These rules are subject to change, by participating in the contest you agree to these terms. All nominations must be posted and will be counted by 10pm PST Jan. 7th, 2021.

//////////////////////////////////

Alright! Sorry for the delay! We're ready with the Top Ten Nominated Cards for 2020's Card of the Year! Please only cast one vote each!

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSe6hBBW9hx2vvYYUNGmO2mfHvyz7WzUe2nJ05uT20rMbNKdDw/viewform

Comments

• Aaaaaah there are so many cool cards. This will be a really difficult choice.
  • It always is!
  • This was one of the last things Grant did on the site, and @Ian_The_Guru was very excited to do it again this year. We started a little later than last year, but we've extended the end date to accommodate that!
  • @Corwinnn, do I just post them here?
  • @joemamajoe Yup! I think you just post them in this thread
  • @joemamajoe - Just one Nomination per Cardsmith, so not "them" as much as "it". Just post 'em here!
  • I went through every car I favorited this year... I'm exhausted... but that's my starting point on nominating a card. 
  • As I was looking through my favorited cards from this year, it really hit me how herculean of a task picking out the best one is. I went through the 77 pages of cards I've favorited this year and I had narrowed my search down to 5: @Tommia's Full Stop, @Involutus's Aedovae, Princess of Pigeons, @Teacup's Dog Walker, @ningyounk's Perpetual Fall, and @Yesterday's Counterfeit Copy.

All of these are, in my opinion, brilliant cards, and given the time I could easily write an essay explaining why I picked them, but, as I went to narrow down to one, I couldn't help feeling that none of them really fit. Now, they're all amazing cards, and I really hope none of the creators feel bad that I didn't end up picking theirs.

But I felt that all five of these cards were missing a little something. They're all everything I love to see in a Magic card: innovative, simple, charming, and whimsical, but I really wanted to find a card that captured the essence of 2020.

2020 has been one hell of a year. It's been a wild ride from start to finish. Political tension has been high, we've been stuck inside due to COVID, and we lost a lot of good people this year. No matter who you are or what your situation is, 2020 has been a really tough year for all of us, and I wanted a card that really encapsulated the essence of the year.

I rejoined the MTGCS community in May of this year, following 2-ish years of only using the site occasionally, and it's been wonderful interacting with the community in all of its forms, from stuff like Tournament of Champions on the forums to helping people with cards on Discord, even helping Arceus with his 24 hour set making challenge. I've grown a lot as a Cardsmith this year, and I'm immensely glad for my inclusion as a featured Cardsmith and the many comments I've gotten on my cards.

All of this was going through my head as I was scrolling through my favorites for the second time. I thought "Great, this'll be even harder than before" But, luckily, I stumbled across a card that I think fits perfectly. It's innovative, yet simple, with a charming presence and good art choice. And made by a smith younger to the site who I think definitely should be getting more attention, as he's coming up with a ton of cool stuff.

So, it's my humble pleasure to showcase my pick for Card of the Year:

Humble Heroics
    https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/humble-heroics

Humble Heroics by @MattTheEsper

I think that in a way, this card applies to all of us. We've all been heroes in our own right this year, whether it's been through being an essential worker, supporting our friends or family, or even just finding the drive to live day to day. And I think this card truly captures that essence, the humble human nature to keep on keeping on that we've all had to tap into this year, and that's why I've chosen it.

Even if this card doesn't end up winning, I know that if I saw one of my cards being nominated for this, I would be over the moon, and I hope this makes Matt feel the same way.

Merry Christmas to you all and a happy new year!

- Your friend, Usaername
  • edited December 2020
    They were plenty of great cardsmiths and plenty of awesome cards this year, but Shadow123 has been my favorite cardsmith this year and his card Among the Stars was my favorite card this year:

Among the Stars

https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/among-the-stars-1

This is my nomination.
  • @joemamajoe

I- I...

Thank you so much! This is the first time one of my cards has ever been nominated!! I feel so honored
  • Like Usaername, I took a lot of time looking through my favorited cards. I wanted to find something interesting, something in a design space niche and somewhere Wizards hasn't really gone before. I found myself drawn to a lot of cards, however, the one that stood out the most to me was a really great and original design by @shadow123 -- Architect of Legends. 

Architect of Legends

I would also like to thank each and every cardsmith who has been on this website this year, since all of you guys made this such a special year. Happy Holidays!
  • I nominate Sunbeam by @Ydoplus_of_Forduuath
  • I nominate @MemoryHead's card Contemplate the Surreal for the following reasons:

• In addition to (or perhaps in spite of) Contemplate the Surreal s ingenious mechanical innovations, with lots of design space and possibilities yet to be discovered even now, the card still fits within the identity of Magic: The Gathering. As a veteran Cardsmith, I have seen many creative designs, and I have also seen many well thought-out designs. Contemplate the Surreal is one of the few that is both.
    • Contemplate the Surreal is a product of care. Although MTGCardsmith does not (yet) have a custom frame designer, @MemoryHead took the time to painstakingly design and combine the aspects of their card. In addition, Contemplate the Surreal follows proper Magic: The Gathering syntax and even credits the artist! Apparently a big chunk MTGCardsmith still thinks crediting the artist is hard!
    • Contemplate the Surreal for me marks the beginning of @MemoryHead's pioneering work designing cards with ASCII templates in 2020, a highlight that I think is noteworthy enough to nominate this card. When I look back on cardsmithin' in the year 2020, @MemoryHead's work will always be one of the first things to come to mind. 

At Her Majestys Behest
  • I would also like to nominate one of @shadow123 's cards. The card in question is (drumroll please)...

Moontide Mystic, for the ingenious Tidal mechanic. 
  • @Applefritter Wow! I'm flattered! Give credit of the mechanic to Tomigon (like I mentioned in the card comments), but I'm really glad you liked my use of it!
  • edited January 2021

• edited January 2021
    Here's the card I nominate:

By Sorinjace. I just love this card!
  • edited January 2021
    Ah, okay! I'll do that!
  • Wait. You just said that!
  • edited January 2021
    @TheDukeOfPork No, it's because you edited your comment. You'd initially commented something about "Yeah, the card [which has now been changed] is mine [which it no longer is because of said change]" and so I did another one with greater emphasis on the "another cardsmith (not you)" part. You may have figured it out based off of the first comment, but you initially didn't from what I saw.
  • Well for my nomination, I shall nominate @MemoryHead 's Dimir Codemaster!
    Dimir Codemaster
    https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/dimir-codemaster

It is such a simple card with limited uses, but the art, the flavour, and how well it works with cipher makes it such a great card in my opinion.
  • I agree with @Abu_Jafar, It took me a while, but I think personally it was Dimir Codemaster as the card of the year that wasn't by me (and hell by me too). Didn't post the card because I didn't wanna flood the board with it!
  • I nominate Gibberish Mage by @foxman2

I have no idea how the rules work with this card, but you can pull off some serious shenanigans with this.
  • It's been a really long year. This felt like it was from longer ago than I thought, but how many people have gotten such support on a card within less than 24 hours on a card? 

I nominate @Ranshi with his card, Kradna, Story-Spinner!
    https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/kradna-story-spinner?list=user
  • @ArinSka, if I recall correctly, it was at that sleepover with Matt when I made that! We then worked on a few cards for that custom set with Thiohr!