THE DIRE TIMES; Last Breath of Vaevictis Asmadi, PHASE 1 - Mechanic and Archetype desinging

13»

Comments

• Alright, I'm starting a new one. I'll start the draft NOW. The concept is hard to work with, and the thing I've got in mind is cooler and easier. Here's two spoilers :)

Dark ModificationsAvatar of Proximity

• I just want to make sure that you aren't just skipping to making cards again (Trust me, I wish I could just jump into card making for my set as well). Both of these cards do seem nice, but once you get a good feeling for your set, it's possible that they might not fit anymore (Of course, they might actually fit, but there's always a chance that they don't).

As I suggested yesterday, you should probably go over your story, and tell us about it. Do you have a summary of what is going on? Before, each of your mechanics was based on one of the elder dragons, so does each dragon have their own group? If so, can you give a description for each? What types of creatures are going to be here? It may seem like a lot, but making sure that your story is strong will help you in all of the other processes.
  • @feralitator Hey, they were just the sort of thing I wanted to make in my new set. They won't fit in it (I don't think), just showing wha sort of thing I would be making.

I wasn't pinged but I saw '1 new' on my discussion.

I don't think you understand what I'm aiming for here. I'm starting a NEW set. No elder dragons, no iffy mehcanics, no Tarkir. But I'm glad you want my set to do good.
  • @TheDukeOfPork The only advice I can give you are to start from base up, so commons before everything else. 

In terms of archetypes, especially the three color archetypes, they're far too narrow. It would be a lot better to combine the two color archetypes into the three color archetypes, and only have 5 three color archetypes. This is mainly because having 10 three color archetypes ends up being very complicated (which is why core sets, Tarkir, Alara, and Ikoria all only have 5).
  • @ChoyBoi
    Thanks for the feed-whatsit, but....

"I don't think you understand what I'm aiming for here. I'm starting a NEW set. No elder dragons, no iffy mehcanics, no Tarkir."
  • Yes, but having 10 three color archetypes and 10 two color archetypes is wayyyyyy too much, especially when they are all so narrow/unconnected
  • I know, I'm having 10 in my next set, possibly 7.