Help with wording

How would you word a mechanic that prevents a creature from attacking/tapping on your next turn? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• ____ target creature. (Until your next turn, that creature can’t attack or {t}.)

Wording created with the abilities haste and detain.

I hope this works/helps!
  • edited March 2021
    It would be something like "target creature can't attack or tap until your next turn". Although I think preventing tapping and attacking feels weird because a lot of creatures don't have things like tap abilities, and only tap through attacking. I would say to look at a card like Arrest, and adapt your mechanic from there.

And as shadow created that wording with detain, I'll also link the MTG Wiki for detain, which sounds very similar to your mechanic idea in general.
  • edited March 2021
    Whenever Archon of the Triumvirate attacks, detain up to two target nonland permanents your opponents control. (Until your next turn, those permanents can't attack or block and their activated abilities can't be activated.)

Archon of the Triumvirate
  • Sorry, I meant if it was a keyword on a creature.
  • Does the ability only prevent voluntary tapping (i.e., to pay for the cost of an effect) or any tapping at all (like due to Tumble Magnet)?  Either way, you could keyword the ability Stasis.
  • edited March 2021
    But... that is a keyword on a creature.

https://mtg.fandom.com/wiki/Detain

Look at it like this...

[COST], detain [TARGET(s)]

{t}: Detain target creature an opponent controls. (Until your next turn, that creature can't attack or block and it's activated abilities can't be activated.)
  • Something like this:
    CARDNAME 2G
    Creature
    Slow (~ can’t attack or tap on your next turn after you cast it.)
    4/4

Does that prevent it from attacking on your next turn?
  • I believe so, yes.
  • I think:

CARDNAME  2G
    Slow (-- can't attack or tap the turn after it enters the battlefield.)
  • I don't think that's necessary.
  • Because I think a cast trigger wouldn't work; it'd have to be an etb trigger.
  • I think both might work. But I dunno though.