Cardsmith League (Official)

Comments

• Awesome sauce
  • edited December 2021

Winter Season is January - March

Any cardsmiths interested in joining one of our 5 potential divisions?

To join, say "IN," and announce your preferred division! This is low maintenance and runs in the background. To summarize everything on the first page in the main description:

All we do for the Cardsmith League is take your 7 most recently created cards, no matter when they were created or what you created them for, and put them in a match, 1-vs-1, against someone else's 7 most recently created cards. We do this weekly. Whether or not you're making cards every week or not is up to you, and you don't make cards for this. We'll just take a peak at your collection once per week :smile:

• Division A (The Most Experienced Cardsmiths.)
    • Division B (Almost there. Not quite cream of the crop. Exploring your potential.)
    • Division C (Perfect for those who are decent enough, but still like messing around with ideas.)
    • Division D (Progressing Cardsmiths. On your way up, but still relatively inexperienced and just doing this and that for fun!)
    • Division E (Not sure what you're doing yet. Sometimes you make something that looks like a magic card, but mostly you're here to have fun with some images and concepts and publish some self-fulfilling creations.)
    @SMPrague
    @RudyTheDuck
    @AboveAndAbout
    @Rayne-Lord
    @ThePhantomJoker
    @Tonysparks
    @Tomigon
    @JackDraco
    @Yesterday
    @Castiel_Demiurge
    @Commando
    @theirintheattic
    @Goatllama
    @Zaheer_The_Grim
    @mmm3creator2
    @The-DM
    @jaceberlin
    @RegalGorgon13
    @KorandAngels
    @SPyBondPlays
    @prismgodz

• And the Prize Breakdown for the winners of each Division!

Division A - 2 Months Premium + 10 favorites +$10 Amazon + Featured Card
    Division B - 2 Months Premium + 10 Favorites  +$10 Amazon
    Division C - 2 Months Premium + 10 Favorites +$10 Amazon
    Division D - 1 Month Premium + 8 Favorites
    Division E - 0 Months Premium + 6 Favorites
    Late Arrivals Division - 0 Months Premium + 6 Favorites
    Inactive Division - 0 Months Premium + 4 Favorites
  • I'll go into the C division!
  • I'll go C too
  • In. I think I’ll try ‘B’ this time
  • Something I think should come with next season, is card critique. I think having the inclusion of why my card won, or why my card lost, would definitely help me to become a better Cardsmith creator, and I'm sure others would agree. I'm not saying this better be a thing, because I'm sure it's awesome in idea, but difficult to actually make happen. I'm just saying if it could happen, it should try to happen.
  • Hey, this is an awesome idea.

I'm in. Let's go C division.
  • @ShadowReign That's a lot of cards to get through for feedback with potentially five divisions x up to 14 cards per pairing in each division (but no fewer than eight) every single week for 10 weeks.  Often, which cards won or lost aren't even revealed unless the judging is done on stream so it'd be hard to nail down which of your cards need improvement in the first place.

@jpastor Perhaps this is something the Feedback on a Card prize from Mystery Challenge Quest can be applied to in order to not overwhelm the judges and provide extra utility to that prize and extra participation in that discussion.
  • edited December 2021
    That's what that feedback prize is for! @Jadefire

but i will be live until at least 5:00 PM Central Time today to go over anything and everything cardsmith league!

Join in the discussion here:

twitch.tv/cryptocaillou

• @ShadowReign @Jadefire @jpastor

Another option could be that the judges keep a written log of their scoring and comments on a publicly accessible format. This would increase transparency of the results, help build trust with the community, and help streamline the process. 

To demonstrate this, I made a Google Sheets document as a proposal of a future system. This document has nine spreadsheets total: one for each of the contestant (8) and one that summarizes the contestants' results (1). Switching between the spreadsheets can be done by clicking the sidebar at the bottom.

Each of the personal spreadsheets allows the three judges to attach their grade (out of 10? or whatever) to the seven cards of the contestant. Here is a way the judges can fill it out:

The cool thing about the sheet is that it sums up the results and puts it in the master sheet like this!

The other cool thing about this sheet is that anyone can access it with a link and view it without editing it. The admin of the sheet can give judges edit access, create copies for each week's battles, and maintain an archive of the results that everyone can view and enjoy. 

I'll be talking more with @jpastor, but I would also appreciate community support with this idea. If you have any ideas, please let me know! I love this forum and its users and would love to help out with this circuit. Cheers :)

• I want to be "in", but I'm not sure if I should go for Division D or C. Any thoughts?
  • @Temurzoa Sweet idea!! I actually just started using Google Sheets myself, and have found it very useful. However, it would take a lot of effort, and could become a little messy at times, but it's up to the judges to decide.
  • Thanks @Temurzoa for putting all this work into your mockup.  I'm not sure how the judging is currently done, whether it's by assigning an absolute value to a card in isolation like jpastor does in Mystery Challenge Quests or if it's strictly within the context of Card A vs. Card B - which one's better?  If it's the second scenario, then some standardized judging criteria may need to be agreed upon so that the judges can properly translate their opinions/observations into a rating.  On the plus side, if the judges can assign an absolute numeric value to a card, they'd only have to judge that card once (presuming their opinions are stable), at which point the value can be used for as long as that card is active.
  • Let's get you in some scrimmage matches against those levels to see where you land! @SPyBondPlays
  • I'll sit it out. I like watching others win ?
  • I’m in, ill try my hand with the A-team

• Apologies, but I don't think I'll participate this time. I'm not really into the big boy contests.
  • I'm in, I'll take a shot at C.
  • I'm in, B leauge pls.
  • edited December 2021
    in, in C league. please
  • edited December 2021
    In, I'll take C divison
  • In. Let's try "B" League :)
  • edited December 2021
    In for division B!
  • Alright, I'm in. I will go with League C.
  • In, also because I'm crazy (maybe a masochist??) I'm gonna test myself with division A.  Also, I'm the dude who has too many alts so make sure to check with me in regards to which account I am currently making cards on (TGBC_Corrinella currently)
  • in for division C
  • I probably won't be very active with my current crazy work schedule, so put me in the late arrivals or the inactives, por favor.
  • In - let me try Division C, see how I go
  • Best of luck to those in our Championship matches this week!!!

A-League

B-League

C-League