Custom Mechanic: Forerunner Roles

Hey people! I've been dabbling with a new mechanic lately, so I thought I'd post it here. Behold!

Moonlight Rumors
Thalassic Harbinger
Companion of Lord Raye

That's right, more Role tokens. This time, this Forerunner role is only temporary, drawing your card once the Forerunner has survived through an entire turn cycle.

Any cards you post here including this mechanic will receive a fav from me. When you do, you can post another card here that I will fav and also write a review of.

Peace!

Comments

• I am getting halo vibe here and I don't know what is it.
  • Rolhald Empires Hand

I really like this one
  • @Castiel_Demiurge Wow really cool card! If you'd like, I can favorite another card of yours (and a review too if you'd want).
  • edited November 2023
    @ManInMaroon_948 I don't really think it is a good card though. Was kind of a mistake tbh, mebbe if the ward was changed to something else with more synergy then it would be a better one instead.
  • @Castiel_Demiurge I don't find it a mistake at all! I love it, truly! You're welcome to add more cards here if you'd like.
  • @smax My goodness I love flying commanders, lol. Please post another card on here for me to like. I'll make a review of it too if you'd like
  • https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/kraseus-linebreaker-hero

Going for flavour points because the Forerunner Role seems ideal to put on a creature that attacks alone and then amps up the creatures that follow it.  It also seems like an good pairing with Exalted as a future card idea.  Kraseus has some built-in flexibility because it can give the Forerunner Role to any creature that attacks alone and it can sacrifice any Role you put on it from any source, but it also has internal synergy between its two abilities.  Giving Boros additional card draw with limited combat enhancement potential also fills a niche for that guild.

I took some creative liberty to clean up the reminder text of the Forerunner Role because 1) No player can control more than one Role on any given creature and 2) You can only sacrifice permanents you control. 
  • https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/encharged-cavalry
    Encharged Cavalry
    My idea for this was that the forerunner was kind of like a creature charging ahead, so I tied that in with the cavalry idea and the must attack each turn if able.
  • edited November 2023

https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/netharion-charger-of-storms

Horses are fast and go first, and thundermare is an obsolete creature type only there because this is an entry for two different challenges.
  • edited November 2023
    @ManInMaroon_948
    The horse is waiting for a fave from the one who gave it its powers...
    In the meantime, I'd like a fave and review of this:

https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/eiganjo-challenger?list=user
  • Hey, sorry guys for the wait. I had a rough few days which keep me away from this website, but I have the time now to review these :)
  • @Jadefire I think your card is the perfect representation of this mechanic. I never thought the "attack alone" clause would work so well with Forerunner Roles! The card giving extra combat step seems very powerful as well. This a very strategic card and I would love to play a deck with this.

Please choose another card for a fav and review from me ;)
  • @Robo_Kitty Omg this seems like a rlly fun 5 drop, lol. The fact that it has haste is pretty bonkers XD

Please choose another card for a fav and review from me
  • @kaoz42 Great job kaoz! I love this card because it promotes the idea of going wide with Forerunner tokens. It has a really strong payoff of reducing costs of spells, which seems like two different concepts that seems really cool mashed together!

Here's my review for "Eiganjo Challenger":

A lot of creativity has been put into this card, and the mechanic seems very appealing. I'm going to give it a 75% mainly off of flavour. The idea of "challenging" other creatures into hand-to-hand combat seems really cool, and negating all other effects that could effect the duel seems very thematic. A hybrid "fight" mechanic seems like a very cool idea. I encourage you to keep working on this mechanic, because I don't think it's there yet.

Firstly, I don't like how the opponent can choose or not choose to be a part of a duel. That doesn't seem to make a lot of sense to me. An opponent would only accept if the duel seems profitable to them. And you would only want to propose a duel if it is profitable to you, which at that case, the opponent would most likely not accept. When would both players want to do a duel? The only way it's ideal to do a duel is if you have some kind of combat trick, and your opponent might not even play into it anyways.

Also, the fact you can duel multiple times in a turn seems annoying, that you would always have this open-ended trigger ability. That would especially be a problem on online games like MTGA.

I'm sure that a card like this would definitely work, I think you should look more into it. Good job Kaoz :)
  • Thanks for the feedback @ManInMaroon_948. I'm glad that I was able to make something you enjoy and is a fitting home for your idea. The concept of a forerunner always brings to mind the image of someone who's willing to be the first into the fray and is an inspirer of troops. I also like the challenge of turning drawbacks into upsides.

I'd be happy for the favourite and review to go to any of my cards. Feel free to pick anything that piques your interest:
    https://mtgcardsmith.com/user/Jadefire/cards
  • @Jadefire I'd like to thank you for your patience.

Ikoda Shatterpalm Master

Here's my review on Ikoda, Shatterpalm Master.

This is most definitely a impressive Jeskai commander. I'll give this card a 85%. The flavour here is just incredible, and the use of this "prowess-tribal" idea is so creative. How the ability scales up in power is what makes this card really shine. My favourite part of this card for me is that last ability. The idea of locking down your opponent's most valuable cards where they can win them back is really cool and bound to lead to interesting gameplay.

My only problem with this card is the lack of value. In commander, I'd imagine an average player would like to play with a commander that could draw cards or produce value or some non-combat advantage in some other way. However, this card does not do that. It doesn't do much on it's own, so it relies on other prowess creatures maybe a little too much. Also, because of it's crazy combat capabilities, it might easily become a "must-kill" card during any point of the game. In that aspect, I do not know if this commander could suffice to others.

Overall, it is a very powerful and creative card, and I love cards that explore shallow archetypes.
  • @Robo_Kitty Thanks for your patience.

Zodiac Guardian

Here's my review on Zodiac Guardian.

This a very interesting colorless card that interacts with devotion. In my opinion, this card comes to a 75%. The flavour here was well done. I like the idea of colorless card that can slot into various "devotion" decks, and how it can add onto the devotion itself even though it lacks a color. I know a lot of people who are obsessed with Zodiac signs, so this would definitely to a good crowd of people. The art is also perfect for this kind of card.

I wish this card was half the mana value. I think card like this would definitely be powerful in standards with "Theros Beyond Death", where a card like this could slot into a lot of decks and serve a good role as a beefy body and a powerful contributor to devotion. I feel like if this card was made more ambitiously, it would be a lot more of an appealing card.

Overall, I think this card had a good idea going for it. Don't be afraid to make powerful cards!
  • @ManInMaroon_948 Thanks for your review.  You're right that Ikoda doesn't give you card advantage in and of itself.  It can provide virtual removal by temporarily locking down problematic permanents, but even this will likely require card investment to get the Prowess creature's power high enough.  Ikoda is very much a tribal card, but it was designed more for non-Commander gameplay because there aren't enough good Prowess creatures to use if you're limited to playing only one copy of each.
  • edited June 21
    Hey @kaoz42! I'm really sorry, I have left the community for some time and I missed this card. It's actually really awesome!

Kaltrix Eye of the Storm

Here's my review on Kaltrix, Eye of the Storm

Kaltrix is a very flavorful card. It takes the mechanics of storm and scry and mashes it into one very powerful card. Picture this; you cast a whole bunch of cantrips like opt, preordain, serum vision, cheap cards that scry you a bunch, and then you draw into a storm card and then cast it for ultimate value. Mind's Desire, anyone? If there was a mechanic to combine with storm like this, scry is perfect because scry helps you find your heavy hitters, and you heavy hitters get stronger the greater number of times you scry. I think that so smart and so majestic. I also want to say the art for this card is perfect, and I think the flavour text is hilarious too haha.

Here's a few quick tips; this card would be an absolute lightning bolt if you have it as your commander because your table would know that it just has that much potential, so be prepared for it to die a ton, lol. Maybe some Ward can make the card better!

Also with the card's second ability, I was wondering if u wanted the card to get +1/+1 for each copy you make out of a storm card as well. Copies made by a storm card aren't cast (they are just copied), so maybe you want to change the second ability to accommodate that. Unless you wanted the ability to trigger only once, which is alr.

Also to mention, you forgot to put "Legendary Creature", if you meant the card to be a commander card lol, which it def has that vibe.

Great job with this card! 95/100

Since you were so patient, you can choose three more cards for me to fav of yours (I won't give a review for them tho I wouldn't have the time haha). You can just put your choices here. Thanks man!
  • Here are two designs of mine using the mechanic:

The first is pretty simple, with the goal being to use Opener of the Way to protect your other creature with the Role so that it lives and you can draw your card.

The second is a tad spicier! Meddling Infiltrator allow you to divvy up Roles across part of your team to make your opponent have to choose between which half of your board they can block this turn and which half they cannot. I feel like this card would make for some interesting play as you want your enchanted and unenchanted creatures to be roughly equal in power level so that your opponent faces a difficult choice.

Overall, I hope you enjoy these designs! This mechanic was very interesting to brew around and I had a good time cooking up some cards for it.
  • @12SidedGuy wow I really love these cards. I found that Forerunner Roles have very nice flavour when you pair them with combat manipulation effects, and you exceeded the borders for that. I especially like what you did with Meddling Infiltrator, where the opponent chooses which selected "party" of creatures they have to deal with, while leaving the other party through. i find that so cool 10/10

I WILL mention for this forum, I have it that when you produce card for it with the Forerunner mechanic, you can put other personal cards on here for me to fave AND do a review for! Since you made TWO cards with "Forerunner", you're welcome to put two other cards on here of your choice and I'll give feedback :)

thanks 12sidedguy!
  • Whispermare
    Blade of Imminent Stealth
    Aurelias Damnation

Just posting some of my own cards here for inspiration!
  • I'm glad you liked the cards @ManInMaroon_948

I'd love a fave and review for some planeswalkers I've made as I don't design walkers too often and would love to get some feedback: