LHunter’s Commander Tournament

Hello, all. It’s LHunter here with another tournament. Soon, season 2 of LHunter’s Mechanics Tournament will begin, but I wanted to make a tournament about probably the most popular thing on this site. Legendary creatures! This tournament will be a competition where participants will make a legendary creature. The creature can get a maximum of 10 points. By including an optional background with your entry, you have the possibility of getting an extra 2 points, making a perfect score 12. Any questions? Comment them here!

Comments

• My entry - sorry for low quality as card view page wasn't letting me right click. image should still be clickable though. i'll try to submit a background based on the artstation page here: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/XnarQL 
  • Erm, sorry to interrupt, but you have to have a commander to have a background.
  • And the background and commander are supposed to work together.
  • I've already submitted a commander with Choose a Background. they aren't synergistic, but I might remake my entry later. just putting them in for now.
  • The commander is on its way.  The idea for the Background came first.
  • Ok, thank you! I will post soon with an example, and remember: judging starts in exactly 2 weeks!
  • https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/annika-anguished-legacy

The interaction between Annika and Consummate Researcher shouldn't be hard to discern.
  • Oh well, might as well try something Bloomburrow-y.

https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/atarnos-bestower-of-boons
    Sorry that it's so huge; mtgcardsmith's new HDness seems to make things MTG Design size.
  • LvBLvB
    edited August 21
    Did anyone say we need a Snaildrazi Commander ?

• 💀💀💀 i knew the second i saw @LvB comment on this it was gonna be a snail.
  • No its not a snail, its a SNAILDRAZI!
    Snaildrazi are colorless very powerful creatures from another dimension that sometimes have antennae or tentacles or are slimy ! They are so powerful, that their true look would drive everyone insane, thats why they project avatars of themself out of their dimension into our world that look similar to creatures native to the world they visit!
  • Jesus, @LvB, where do they live, the blind snailternities?! Sounds like you have quite the amount of lore. I’d love to see a set of this or storyline, if you don’t already have one…
  • Okay, so judging will happen tomorrow. We have 4 participants, which is my minimum. Season 2 of LHunter’s Mechanics Tournament starts soon. Ready up and get ready for more mechanics and a winner for this tournament. Now is your chance to shine, @LvB, @kaoz42, @Mantis172 and @Jadefire!
  • @LHunter

Sorry to be that guy, but is it to late to submit a card? If not, here's my entry:

This just so happens to be my second time in a row making a borderless, colorless card. 
  • Very cool design, but I fail to see why this is mythic rarity…

• @LHunter - May I jump in with Grixis squidly artifacts?
  • Judging has been postponed until we have one more entry.
  • There’s a little issue with that, @Lurisauri… if you sacrifice a larger artifact with mana 4 or greater, he can go infinite and win instantly. Considering he’s a 5 mana commander (or 3, depending on how you look at it), you could easily fill the deck with a couple rampy things like dark ritual, land tax, archaeomancer’s map, etc. and some 4 mana artifacts, and it would be an easy win. You won’t get any points deducted, I just want to point that out.
  • yeah i think overshot the mark a bit, i was aware that if you have infinite mana you win straight away. maybe the costs to play him should be 4wb instead of 3wb and that you need to tap him to sacrifice an artifact but I will keep that in mind next time when I'm designing a commander
  • edited August 25
    @Lurisauri: the best way to balance him in my opinion is to make him tap when sacing an artifact. Did you ai generate that image?

Oh shiz I missed some of that text. I would say he is balanced how he is. Infinite mana isn’t too hard to get, but there are commanders or cards in general that can win much easier. Think impact tremors+squee the immortal+food chain, exquisite blood+sanguine blood or phyrexian alter+gravecrawler+impact tremors. I know a lot off the top of my head. There’s also scute swarm, an absolute nightmare of a card. I once saw a guy who was actually counting the scutes, and he was in the 11 billion range when I walked away.
  • edited August 25
    yes that picture is ai generated 
  • I’m totally calling it out for drawing similarities from Alien: Romulus.
  • actually the ai art is a re-creation of a real art (that I forgot to mention in the artist line, sorry) so it has nothing to do with alien: romulus although there might be some similarities
  • Yeah there’s a lot of scenes that look like that in Alien: Romulus, @Lurisauri. Many hallways look very similar to that.
  • LvBLvB
    edited August 25
    i would like to replace my Snaildrazi Commander with this:

• 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️
    @LvB, you always have the best ideas, but also the worst ideas.

• We need one more competitor, ladies and gentlemen. If no one enters in the next 3 days, I will throw my ring into the hat with a commander almost guaranteed to lose. If you have any questions, I have mentioned everyone in this comment so you will be notified. Please, if you have any questions about judging or matchmaking, ask.