Post your cards here. Actually see what others think.

Comments

• @KrakenSalad Wording:
    When CARDNAME enters the battlefield, mill three [word, not number] cards.

If a card would be put into your graveyard from your hand or library, you may exile that card with an eldritch counter on it instead. You may cast that card for as long as it remains exiled at any time you could cast an instant. [I'm not actually certain about this wording, but it'd be a hell of a lot of work to try and perfect it and even then I wouldn't be sure. There's also the option of making this a "whenever" rather than a replacement effect.]

{2}{B}: Each player discards a card.
    And notes:

- I believe that the creature types should probably be ordered as "Squid Horror Wizard", since horror is a race rather than a class.

- I'm a bit worried about the balance on this. It sort of reads as "ETB: Draw three cards, but the lands don't work and everything else has flash." along with a vast quantity of value should you have any other self-mill at all. The instant speed discard also represents the ability to lock many people out of the game by having them discard whatever they got in their draw step before they reach a main phase to play it, while literally just being an upside for you by making your cards instant speed.

- In regards to the previous point, it's hard to say what the best method of balancing this is. There's the traditional "Up the cost" or whatever, but I'm not sure how much that'd matter or what the correct cost would be. Stat changes wouldn't really make any difference. Possibly some sort of limiter on the cards exiled (either only allowing you to exile a certain number per turn, or only cast one per turn, or something else. I don't know.) The thing I can easily suggest an answer to is the discard ability, which could be given a sorcery-speed limitation.

Wow, I haven't made a planeswalker in ages. For the sake of stating awareness, I know adamant should be italicised, but the 'walker creator doesn't support that. Give him a favorite and / or a useful comment before posting up to two cards of your own.

• @MemoryHead
    Kral Goring is really well done. I love the use of adamant, which is a way undervalued mechanic. I left a favorite.

Here's mine:
  • Vaxara is a very well made card, but I think that instead of "creatures you control gain lifelink" you could give flying but for more mana.

Shadow Beast
  • @CallMeBob First off, I love the art, but if you can find the artist (sometimes that can be hard to track down) that’d be great.

Given this is a shadow (which is a cool creature type choice btw) I’d love to see a more creative and unique name, especially since it’s legendary.

As far as formatting- if nothing were to be changed you should definitely italicize the the reminder text inside the parenthesis after Alpha 4. As far as Alpha 4 as an ability, assuming there is Alpha X- i think its a pretty broken ability that has no downside, which it should have. I’d say maybe an ability that’s has to do with searching specifically for another shadow creature. 

As far as the p/t aspect, I’m a big fan of variable power and toughness, I do however think you should decide on one to regulate both power and toughness, as it is I think it’d be rather annoying to keep track of two different numbers like that. 

As for my cards, here’s a couple commons. 

Yes, I realize this should probably have noble in the type line, I forgot lo.. however I’d also be open to other names. Btw- this artist is f*ing amazing.

So here I’m essentially using an unkeyworded version of Soulbond, however let me know if this is too low of a cmc at common. The rarity is more important than the cmc to. ALSO, I couldn’t find the artist for this one as I found it on a wallpaper cache, if anyone can steer me towards the artist name that would be greatly appreciated!

• edited November 2020
    @LordFlavorousMaximus Critiquing your cards again, lol. Except there really isn’t much critiquing to do. Formidable Princess seems right in the money, and Romantic Heroism is really cool too. 

One thing about Romantic Heroism, though - lifelink is primary in white and secondary in black. It doesn’t show up in green at all. And I suppose you could make the excuse that creature pairing and synergy is green, which I guess it is, but it’s no more green than it is white. To be honest, it could cost 2W and be none the worse for it. I just don’t think green is really represented here.

The way it is, if you want to keep green, than the CMC it’s got should be just fine.

Edit: I noticed you said you really liked Adrian Smith’s art. You’re right, he’s really good. But if Wizards doesn’t hire Veli Nystrom to make card art for them I will be very, very confused. Go check him out, I swear like a third of my cards use his art.

Now, I don’t know if your cards have to be made on MtgCardsmith, but no one’s mentioned it to me before, so I assume not. Here’s Kettengeist.

I know for hybrid cards the effect should fit well into both of the colors, and I think the first one does, but I’m feeling conflicted about the second one. Can you guys help? Also, what do you think of bury as a mechanic, and of course the card as a whole?
  • @RandomFandom Thanks for the feedback mate. I’ll have to check out that artist! I guess I figured lifelink in green was a thing because green has lots of life gain- which it shares with white as well, totally didn’t realize that!

• As far as posting cards from other sides, I guess its not against the rules, but part of this page’s purpose is not only message board feedback, but potentially getting some likes or a comment on the card itself.

• @RandomFandom Kettengeist is a little overpowered. It could be a extremely powerful sideboard against a token deck, because if they just have an army of small tokens or a few huge tokens, you pay 6 mana for a 4/5 with protection against tokens, and cards other cards with 0 mana cost, and you also immediately remove one of the tokens. In most other situations, it is an okay or weak card. I would give a favorite, but it doesn't have a link to a mtgcardsmith card. With this card, I'm trying out with Infect.
  • @fire12 Commented. Keep up the good work!

My cards:

• @shadow123 I know this sounds weird... but Nilani 100% should be a Druid. All enchantress cards were turned into druids in the Grand Creature Type Update and I feel like Nilani should be with the rest of them.
  • I believe that it was done on purpose to match the character's lore in the saga that his character participated.
  • edited November 2020
    @FourEyesIsAFish I made her an enchantress on purpose for lore in the ToC3 saga and that point has been brought up before- the enchantress type is on purpose. I am aware of the update. Thanks for mentioning that all the same.
  • @shadow123 I like the Necrosythesis, definitely good in a Golgari deck. Favorited it.

Here are my two cards, both Kaladesh-themed.

Asoph Deteriorate GiverFill with Wonder

• edited November 2020
    @Obidiah Wording for Asoph...
    {T}, Sacrifice Asoph: Target player's life total becomes equal to their starting life total.
    Fill with Wonder has no wording issues that I can see. Anyhow, notes and observations on both. I'll start with Asoph:

- I'll start with a few visual things. The artist is Jason A. Engle, and the art comes from the game day edition of Yahenni's Expertise. Artist credit's very important. Also, you've got a vast amount of empty space here below the text. Have you considered perhaps making the card in large text mode?

- This card is wildly off color-pie. Returning somebody to their starting life total isn't the most common effect in the world, but it's firmly cemented in white. The easiest way around this is probably the obvious one, introduce white (probably as well as black, since Aetherborn are black-centric and this has the potential to make people lose life). Since Aetherborn aren't traditionally white, this might not be something you want to do, though. Other options might include changing the card's overall flavor (having a different species in the art etc), but in the end, how you solve this is your call.

- This is probably something you've got your reasons for, but the Advisor creature type seems really odd here. The ability is that of a healer. The flavor text kind of feels like that of a healer (that flavor text could possibly do with a little re-writing to make it read better, by the way), and then the card just isn't either a Cleric or a Vampire for some reason.

- In terms of balance, the card's probably a bit weak. The ability honestly isn't too powerful when considered in relation to the cost, stats, and need to sacrifice it and get past summoning sickness. If you also rework it around things like the aforementioned color and creature type, perhaps you could also change around the stats and abilities a bit to make it stronger. Also, I'm not sure how mythic it really feels. Possibly rare, though perhaps not.

And now a few things about Fill with Wonder:

- Again, I'll start with the visual. The artist is Mathias Kollros, and the art comes from the Kaladesh print of Ornithopter. Again, crediting artists is important, please try to do it.

- I'm going to treat this as a card in a commander precon for the duration of thinking about it, as it uses a commander mechanic and it looks pre-con-y.

- In terms of color pie, this feels extremely off. Life gain is extremely not-red. This use of join forces also feels extremely not-red. Card draw in this context? You guessed it, it isn't really red. I genuinely feel like this should have been a white card, and then you just inexplicably pressed the wrong button and made it red.

- In terms of balance, it feels like it's a bit weak, but that's probably just because join forces is a bit weak. As a recommendation, I'd suggest that you lower the casting cost down to a single white mana. All of the join forces instant / sorcery cards did this, as it left you with more mana open to pump into the card effect and since it's symmetrical then it's notably weak.

- I have no idea why any of the choices the card presents are "may" effects. They should almost certainly just be "Target player draws a card." "Target player gains 3 life." and "Target player creates a 1/1 colorless Servo artifact creature token." respectively.

Hopefully at least some of that helps or contributes in some way.

A pair of random Eternal-related legendary creatures. No idea why. Since it might require a reminder of its existence, Keshef is intended to interact with the amass mechanic. Give one or both a favorite and / or a useful comment before posting up to two cards of your own.

• @MemoryHead, do you have any suggestions on how to fix the flavor text?
  • @MemoryHead , Keshef is definitely too good for standard. Turning pretty decent cards like Gleaming Overseer, Enter the Godeternals, Bleeding Edge and Lazotep Reaver into powerhouses while being able to play the myriad of Zombie support, on top of turning these zombie tokens into huge life-swingers, is too good. At 3 mana I'd call it fine, but would cripple the card beyold playable because of how much it cripples the curve of an Amass deck.

Neheb is also mildly concerning with certain self-saccers or Evoke cards, among others. T2 this into T3 Shriekmaw, Aethersnipe, Mulldrifter, Spitebellows eta. already feels nasty, and evoke cards aren't even scratching the surface of what you can do with Neheb; not to mention, it's still a 2 mana 2/2 on-curve that Death and Taxes could easily play in Legacy and perhaps even splash for support with. 
  • @Potato13 Yep for Neheb. I'd also received some points along those lines on the card itself, and since they're continuing from you then clearly my early nerfs were insufficient. I've bumped the cost up by {1}.

Keshef was mentally based on a vague assumption of "most of the cards that amass are kind of bad, so hey, perhaps it's alright". As you can probably tell, I didn't put anywhere near enough thought into that. For whatever mental reasons I'm unwilling to make any major nerfs, so for the time being I've just dropped the toughness down to 1 to reduce the base card's effectiveness ever so slightly, and I'll think on dropping it further down to 1/1. For the sake of saying it, I'm aware of how minor that is. Anyhow, thanks for the general pointing out / point reinforcing of this-is-too-good-ness on both.

@Obidiah Looking at it and thinking over it some more, I don't really know. I get what you're going for with the present version, but it's kind of iffy to my mind. I think that one of my major mental things against it is the fact that the flavor text of a legendary speaking on its own card never normally has a "this is who's speaking" line because it's the legendary. I kind of get that the context here's necessary for what you're going for, but I'm still vaguely against it. For fixing it, my recommendation would be either finding a different way of saying it (preferably one that doesn't need the context of the "who's speaking" line) or changing it up and giving the card a different piece of flavor entirely. I'll leave that up to you, sorry if that isn't much help.
  • @MemoryHead I already commented on Neheb, so I went ahead and commented on Keshef. Fun card!

My card:

• @shadow123, I left a favorite. Great card!

Here's my card:
    Heartblood Devourer
  • @ChoyBoi , I'd personally swap the equip cost and the actual cost of Heartblood Devourer. I also find the idea of an equipment that does nothing for a creature without requiring deck-specific setups to be weird for limited, and I additionally don't get what makes it red. Red usually doesn't care about the opponents cards going to the graveyard.
  • edited November 2020
    @ChoyBoi I see your card more as a grixis style card rather than rakdos, but it fits well enough, though i'd do it as damage rather than loss of life. I'd also have to agree with @Potato13, the equip and cast cost feels backwards in color management.

here's my card:

https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/timriel-the-chronologist-1
  • edited November 2020
    @Spatialdebris It should be "You may cast it from exile as though it had flash." Also, I don't see red being in the card. Probably should just be azorius, but I wouldn't know. Other than that, it seems pretty weak. For the ability to pay off, you would have to wait at least 2 turns, which isn't that great. Next up: A card that slightly bends the color pie. (It doesn't completely bend the color pie, look at the comments.)
  • @fire12 Commented! Fun design!

My card:

• @Shadow123 Interesting ability. The card pairs with it fantastically, and it balances well with the cost. Well done. Haven't posted any of my own stuff for a while, so here's one for ya.

https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/nico-mantis-lord
  • edited November 2020
    @fire12 this card is supposed to be a jeskai variant of jhoira, but rather than suspend giving you a free cast it puts things in stasis to cast whenever you want for less mana.
  • @Spatialdebris Yes, I understand that, but 2 turn wait for 1 mana less isn't that good. Also, the ability isn't red. Prowess is in red, but it is in blue and white to. I would suggest at least lowering the mana cost a little.
  • @fire12 technically only have to wait 1 turn for mana reduction since it's triggered at your upkeep, and it makes the spell cost generic mana (ie: cmc rather than actual spell cost(fixed on the website)) and cast at instant speed for 1 white mana.. and flash tends to be an izzet/blue color ability for instant/sorcery while white has some flash for creatures. the activated ability was supposed to be 1 white mana which i had immediately fixed when i made the post. i don't know if you can see the updated version or not.
  • edited November 2020
    @JMGreer41, that card is all over the place. I don't know where to start. Um... 

1. Wording:

Double strike

{G}{G}: Nico, Mantis Lord gains flying until end of turn.

{X}, {T}: Destroy target Insect with toughness X, then put X +1/+1 counters on Nico.

2. Reduce the cost to 3GG.

3. The flying ability should be either gone, or reduced to {G}.
    ______________________________________________________________________________________

My cards:

https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/jungle-huts

and,

https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/zerpo-knight-of-the-tide
  • edited November 2020
    @Spatialdebris You only have to wait 1 turn for 1 less mana, but you already spent 1 mana, so to make it worth it, you would have to wait at least 2 turns, which is a bad deal. Even if you have flash creatures, you still are waiting to use that 1 mana. Also, Flash creatures aren't going to take up your entire populace of creatures. If you got rid of the red mana, and lowered the cost by 1 or more, it would be fine.
  • edited November 2020
    @shadow123 Nice card. Would love to play with that!

This morning I just though of a design for a New Phyrexia theme mox cycle. It is similar to the shockland/dual land situation:

https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/rough-emerald

https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/rough-ruby