Post your cards here. Actually see what others think.

Comments

• edited February 2021
    @WarriorCatInAhat On the subject of artists that @Red_Tower mentioned, the artist for Verdant Wave is OakKs (with that capitalization), and the art for Mind Devourer is by Timi Honkanen.

You've probably heard the line before, but please credit artists whenever possible and consider only using art you can give credit for properly.

This is just further feedback on a previous pair of cards. The most recent cards are still Red_Tower's Annabelle Crystallia and Moonlight Blade.
  • thank you for the feedback @Red_Tower !
    the reason verdant wave is the way it is is because I needed to make a damage-dealing green spell for a contest, so yeah
    anyway thanks, that was very helpful
  • @MemoryHead
    how did you figure out the artists?
    also, thanks for telling me
  • @WarriorCatInAhat No problem, happy to help. In the case of Timi Honkanen, I'm already aware of him, I like his art, and it's got an incredibly distinct style. I just recognised that and Honkanen's habit of drawing dragon-people made out of tar.

In the case of the other piece, I used a sort of reversal-method. I detail it down in the comment section of this card, so go look at that to save me the trouble of having to paste a massive text-block here:

https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/sanctioned-slaying

The most recent cards are still Red_Tower's Annabelle Crystallia and Moonlight Blade. They're at the bottom of the previous page.
  • edited February 2021
    I really like @Red_Tower ;'s Annabelle Crystallia because I think Clerics are going to need some support before the D&D set comes out later this year.  The Party mechanic is ... meh ... kinda lame at this time, but if there could be some more love for Clerics, Party might get better.

Here's my card for feedback:

The flavor and lore is referring to the Dragonlord Silumgar from Dragons of Tarkir who was paranoid and had his enemies slain all the time.  But the mechanic of this artifact is supposed to be like "High Alert" so that 0/1 goats, 0/3 walls, and 0/4 crabs can actually have deathtouch.  :smile:  Deathtouch is defined as "a static ability that causes any damage dealt to a creature by a source with deathtouch to be considered lethal damage."  Deathtouch does not say that the source's damage must come from its power.

Thoughts?
  • @TerryTags The card has nice vibe but seems a little underpowered because there aren't many creatures (I mean, there's quite a lot, but not in the grand scheme of the game) with power 1 or less. Personally I would make this 1 mana. But still, it's a pretty cool card that works with the story of the game and it's better and more balanced than some of my stuff, but...Anyway!
  • My card:

Seek Renewal

The point is that this doubles the life you originally gained than turn plus additional life because it also doubles the life your opponents have gained. 

Thoughts?

• edited February 2021
    redacted
  • edited February 2021
    @TheDukeOfPork Interesting card! A couple of notes, the wording of "total amount of life gained this turn" seems a little strange to me, but it gets the point across and I personally can't come up with anything better, so it's probably fine. Pure lifegain cards tend not to be very strong, and this one additionally relies on you doing other things on your turn, so the cost could probably come down a bit, maybe 1WW? Similarly, I think making this an instant would improve it a bit, especially if you want to take advantage of life your opponents have gained, as they'll most likely be doing that on their turn.

Here's my card:

Wording's a little janky, but I think you get the idea :) 
  • @FangQuil Commented! I love the idea a lot!

My cards:

• @shadow123 I'm not the best at balance discussions considering my lack of deep experience with mtg but after racking my brain over Elegant Wingsmith I personally think it stacks up well with what I've already seen. If I had to say anything maybe up the price of returning Elegant Wingsmith to it's owner's hand by one, but honestly I think it's fine without the change.

Maybe I just haven't been around the block enough times but I haven't seen a card like Together Forever before, it's interesting to me. I don't know enough about it to say if it's balanced or not, maybe someone else can help you more with that but it looks fine to me, I suppose.

https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/banquet-hall-1
    Banquet Hall

My card is a part of a subtype of lands I'm trying to get criticized called chambers which generally have just weird abilities almost like artifacts but idk. I made this card specifically a while ago by now and I think there's a lot going on here that needs to be addressed, between the wording and the actual concept itself that I'd appreciate the help/criticism on.
  • edited February 2021
    @Bradster2002, nice idea. Generally modern land design wants lands to have mana abilities, so I would try and make room for that. Here's how I would format your card:

Banquet Hall
    Land - Chamber
    Banquet Hall enters the battlefield tapped.
    T: Add C.
    2, T: Create a Food Token (reminder text in italics)
    2, T: Put a +1/+1 counter on a Food token you control. That permanent becomes a 0/0 creature with haste named Gingerbrute and retains its other abilities. (not 100% purist but this is the simplest way to do it)

Thoughts?
    https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/feed-the-queen
  • edited February 2021
    @Temurzoa Like the mechanic. Probably a balanced version of dredge, kinda, despite the card is just a mediocre creature removal. Also it leans heavily on Golgari, and maybe on Rakdos too. Let's see what you can do later with that 'recycle' mechanic then.

Here's a card of mine, just a simple tutor.

https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/confidants-scheme?list=user

• @Fallen_Lord_Vulganos I like it! As you say, it's a pretty simple tutor, so there's not much for me to comment on, but the reference to Dark Confidant is sweet, and the mindgame possibilities with an instant foretell tutor are interesting. If I'm going to be really pedantic, saying "grant your wish" in the flavor text feels kinda weird since this is a tutor, not a wish, but that doesn't actually really matter that much to me.

Here's my card, an attempt at making a pushed card draw engine that's distinctly white:

• @FangQuil I like it. Compulsory Compensation doesn't have something I can compare it to from memory so I'm not sure how much it should cost, maybe higher but that's just my guess. Actually if I think about it, it probably works out because your opponent can benefit from it too. Very interesting, especially if combined with draw mechanics with like blue or red. I think you've managed to derive a distinctly white draw card very well.

https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/under-worldly-cove-1
    Under-worldly Cove

Again with my chamber showcase, lands with artifact-like abilities. If any previous criticism is to be heeded over a different card, then this one must look atrocious with all of these free sacrifices. I'd appreciate the help with deciding what the mana costs of these abilities should be or if they should have costs in the first place. Also to address the advice of @Temurzoa on Banquet Hall, I'm personally relinquishing the ability to tap some of these lands for mana since other chambers I have typically can be tapped for either a colored mana or colorless, plus I wouldn't know what colored mana some of these would produce anyways, also also I just personally think tapping for mana would give some of these too much versatility. 
  • edited February 2021
    @FangQuil , I don't feel like this type of card advantage feels white. White card draw should tax others for breaking rules, be a tutor, be Monarch-based, be recursion-based, be a cantrip or provide everyone with that cantrip - draw equalization in white is generally in the form of limiting the number of cards a player can draw, and this feels like a blue effect stapled to a white card. And white doesn't typically care about the number of cards in a hand or the difference between the number of cards in hand except in Kamigawa.

The card seems fine at 3 mana, but only because the balance of Commander as a format is extremely poor and it would be 4 mana otherwise.

@Bradster2002 , the chambers have a few different things wrong with them. Firstly, every modernly-designed land should be unable to tap for mana or fetch a land and put it onto the battlefield unconditionally. A cycle of lands should not have that feature relinquished, and simply tapping for colorless would improve the lands drastically. Secondly, the card seems flavorly challenged. It's strange that a random cave can sacrifice creatures for lands and planeswalkers for even more lands. Thirdly, the card is indeed broken in two specific formats: Vintage and Pioneer. In Vintage, the ability for a U/R/G Xerox deck to tutor it up at instant with something like a Crop Rotation and sac a Narset, Oko or Dack Fayden to search up three toolbox or land destruction lands, with the additional possibility of recurring them with Wrenn and Six, discard them to get value out of Dack or simply Gush them to draw 2 cards is absurd. In Pioneer the issue is equally as bad - the most popular deck can easily get lands with Oath of Nissa, and with a total of 10~ planeswalkers on average, 8 legendary spells with converted mana cost 1 or less and the additional value from saccing random creatures and pieces with the possibility of playing toolbox lands. 

The design, would be much cleaner like this -

Bounty Cavern
    Land - Chamber
    {T}: Add {C}.
    {2}, {T}, Sacrifice a legendary permanent: Search your library for a basic land card, put it onto the battlefield tapped, then shuffle your library.

Adding the ability to tap for mana makes it a modern design, and it keeps it short and simple like most land designs are. Lands should be balanced around tapping for mana and always be able to tap for mana.
  • I'll just leave it as is honestly
  • Unless Potato13 is gonna post their own card I'd appreciate it if other people gave some thoughts, or if my card is dead in the water then I guess someone else post their card
  • I'm cheating again, instead of posting one card I have 5 examples of my new wild west themed mechanic Reload, one card for each color. Because Bradster's card has already had its feedback, I'm going to instead feedback for the next 5 posters, as I am posting 5 cards, after all. 

https://mtgcardsmith.com/account/sets/59288
    For whomever gives feedback on this: You definitely don't have to do each card if you don't want to, just general feedback on the mechanic is okay

• edited February 2021
    @Usaername, I've always wanted to make cowboy cards myself but could never really come up with a mechanic for them. Reload is perfect for a wild-west themed set, and I really like how you did it. No criticism necessary from me, great job!

But if you really want a forced criticism I say that the shot counters with proliferate could be really good, maybe to good. But honestly I can't find any way around that and the ability is perfectly good the way it is.

Here's my card:
    Bordwyr of Skaltclan
    Drawn by Hugo Wull
  • @Obidiah Although the concept of that card is quite good, it looks incredibly overpowered. Compare it to Lovisa Coldeyes. (https://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=426606) Mine:

https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/baral-cheif-of-alliance
  • @KorandAngels
    Seems balanced, though the second ability seems to be a little bit blue. I don't remember any other cards that loot that aren't partially blue. If the card had blue in its mana cost, I wouldn't be surprised, though then it would likely need something to compensate the more difficult casting cost.
    Is the name of the card supposed to be "Baral, CHIEF of Alliance" rather than "Cheif"? What is "Alliance" referring to here? I know that "Baral, Chief Of Compliance" is an existing card. I'm not sure how "Alliance" and exiling cards are related, unfortunately.
    The art works fine!

My card:

https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/buttony-finder-of-lost-things
  • @Suleman it's a colourshifted Baral.
  • @Suleman
    buttony is an interesting card. I think the correct wording for the first ability would be "you may cast them from exile until end of turn", but I could be wrong
    also, why is it red/green? exiling and casting doesn't seem very gruul, but idk.

here's my card
    I've edited it like three times already and I'm still not satisfied with it, so can I have some feedback?
    Commander Rholtys
  • @WarriorCatInAhat
    Regarding Buttony: The way you worded that would limit to only playing spells, this wording also allows playing lands, which is pretty green. "Can't be countered" is often seen on green creature spells, which is part of why I chose it.
    See also Escape to the Wilds https://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=473151
    Anyhow, thanks for the feedback!
  • The "You may play them" part doesn't just happen for red/green spells that do that. Pretty much all of the red cards that do that have that wording. But I'd say that it does still have a red/green feel to it.
    https://scryfall.com/card/rna/107/light-up-the-stage
  • @WarriorCatInAhat I like the card but one of my greatest pet peeves is not crediting artists. Another thing about your card there is only so many good Viashino in MTG before you would just be putting in bulk. But I really would like to see more Viashino from future sets since they're an interesting creature type. Not bad but if there was more variety within the creature type it would be better.

My card:

https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/joven-smashing-thief-1