I will review your cards on video

Comments

• And in making Ardraina, I made a huge mistake in giving her lifelink. I plan on correcting it eventually, but haven't gotten to it yet.
  • @Ashdust
    In regards to your question about Hrondaayl's name, I looked up how it sounded before I wrote it, and knew it was pronounced more like Ruun-Dale. I don't know why I wrote "Rone-Dale". I am indeed American, but I have done foreign language classes and know some of the accents. I think the one I get correct most consistently is the grave, which goes about an e and makes it sounds more like "Ay".
    Interesting, what language?
  • I focused mainly on French. It's really fun to speak and lovely to hear.
  • @hileandr I guess I should have asked before doing so, but are you cool with me posting cards made using a different website (specifically MTG Design)?
  • @ShadowReign
    That doesn't bother me, I don't mind
  • This is cool! I hope you aren’t getting too inundated!
  • @hileandr
    Thanks for reviews! Now I am bringing a nonreferenace legendary transformer creature to you.
    https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/hekaw-guimans-assistance
    https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/hekaw-the-three-headed
  • @Rayne-Lord
    This is cool! I hope you aren’t getting too inundated!
    Absolutely not! I really enjoy doing these! Keep 'em coming!
  • @hileandr Did you look at the response I sent you for my Battle For Freedom cards (This is my, @TGBCGakurenZelthorn 's actual main account)
  • @TheGamingBolasChannel
    The hybrid mana on Sabrina, Unshackled Time is to denote her color identity since there are no hybrid borders for planeswalkers yet.
    I sort of figured, but like I said in the video, I think it's best to work with the constraints you're given. It's distracting to have a mana cost on the back of a flip card, that's why I always harp so much on presentation.
    Milina is designed more for the Corrinella and Milina's Revolution sets.
    That's cool, I look forward to seeing what's going on there. I really liked the front side of Milina, but the back side didn't really give me a good idea of who she was when she grew up. That was my main issue. Lore and story are great, but it's best to deliver them through the cards, if you get my meaning.
    Nuclear Rage Blast is not a nuclear explosion, just a large blast of Rage Mana that has similar effects minus the fallout.
    I see. If you want that to come across, you may want to consider using Rage Mana as part of the cost. For example: "As an additional cost to cast Nuclear Rage Blast, pay X Rage Mana. Nuclear Rage Blast deals X damage to all creatures." That way it really spells it out for you and you get a nice payoff for accumulating Rage Mana. I'm also still a little confused about the green part and the life gain.

I see some really nice moments in your cards, like I said the front side of Milina was really great. I'd like to see more attention to the way cards play out and the story the card itself tells with its mechanics. Of course, you can also just ignore me and do whatever you want! This is just one man's opinion.
  • @hileandr ; Nuclear Rage Blast is actually a little more interesting as it is my first custom "reprint" card as I featured it in the Siege of the Dead Continent set as a hint towards the Earth block's main mechanic.

Also the cards for Corrinella onwards were all made within the last year or so meaning they should be better design wise.
  • This is probably my favorite card I've made:

Rhayne Fungal Sovereign
  • edited April 2022
    @Suleman (6 videos)

Suleman, you've really upped your game! These cards are miles ahead of your previous ones. Great job!

These videos introduce a new format I am trying out. Let me know if you guys like the more structured style or if you prefer that I just babble.
  • Here are some cards for your consideration good sir. They’re my five most recent. I’m having a hard time knowing whether the Sultan is too strong (because of the effect) or too weak (because of the body) so I’d love to know your thoughts on that specifically! Thanks so much for doing this, what great fun. If you want me to check out any of your cards I’d be happy to, just let me know.

• edited April 2022
    @hileandr.. just watched the @Suleman vids since I judged them this past week too. I'm a fan of the babbling over the scoring. If you're curious, the Suleman card analysis starts at 5:45 in that video. 
  • edited April 2022
    @hileandr
    Once again, thanks for the feedback!
    I noticed you getting annoyed with ads while browsing the web. I highly recommend getting an adblocker extension (e.g. uBlock Origin for Chrome). I can't imagine surfing without one.

Yao Buke Ji is just google translated Chinese for "Unattainable". I was trying to think of a mildly sinister name for a living god "walking" among mortals and being worshipped.  A proper official card would get named by an actual Chinese speaker, of course. Since it grants convoke to noncreature spells as well, it can also help you cast Ultimatums and the like. Not sure if that's a big deal. A five-mana ramp card is a bit late in the game, even if you can convoke it.
    Lastly, pronouns. Yao Buke Ji is a genderless entity, so I used the pronoun "they" for them. Not a big deal.

I ran out of space with some of these cards. E.g. Coiling Serpent would have been worded more like Rust Tick if I had the space to do it. I was trying to push the five-color ideas as far as they would go in different directions, some worked better than others. Elderwood Dragon and Demon Parade were the ones I was least satisfied with.
    If these were an actual cycle, I'd probably try to make the others similar to Guardian Qilin: 3-mana creatures with 2-mana evokes.

The artist for all of those was Jin Xiaodi: https://www.artstation.com/xd_king

Also, the "gem" icon at the bottom middle of the card frame textboxes is only on rare and mythic rare cards and it's a real pain in the neck.
  • @Ashdust (1 video)

@Rayne-Lord (5 videos)

• @hileandr
    These videos introduce a new format I am trying out. Let me know if you guys like the more structured style or if you prefer that I just babble.
    I like the 1 - 10 rating, but I think I prefer the babble. I think it feels more like a discussion about the card, than a full breakdown of the card.
  • @hileandr For the cards that I have made changes to since the video review of them, would it be okay if I post the link to them and you post a quick analysis of what you think of the changes/alterations. This way I can get your opinion without you having to make a new video review, since you already made one on it.
  • edited April 2022
    @hileandr Just finished up a new batch of cards for you to review when you get the chance; all of which from the same set.
    Adverse by the Enigmatic
    Kimelle, Artifice Visionary
    Prepare for Battle
    sure
    Thanks! Still have some changes/alterations to make, but I will get them posted soon. I know you still have a ton of cards by a bunch of other Cardsmiths to review, so I'm not worried if you can't get to any of mine for awhile. I'm still gonna watch the videos nonetheless.
  • @hileandr Yeah, every player is a bit powerful (juuuust a bit). I'll change it to "Whenever a nontoken creature you control dies"
  • @hileandr Hey thanks so much for the in depth analysis. I have edited the cards to some degree in response to your critiques.

1. Era Ender - I changed him to a Giant warrior with different art, felt more appropriate to the name. However I think you’ve forgotten that Ravage, while inspired by Exploit, is a repeatable attack trigger. It does nothing the turn it comes out unless you give it haste somehow. So I wonder if that would change your worries regarding it. Also, any good ideas for a name instead of Ravage? I needed something that could be used as a verb, and its the best idea I had for when a creature indiscriminately pillages. Similar to how devour creatures devour your own dudes.

2. Sultan of Molten Fury- Call it what ya like mine, I enjoyed the fun you had with that! I agree with your analysis here. I’ve brought it down to cmc 4 (only 2 red pips) with a 5/4 body and max discard of 2. Feels better I think.

3. Edict - You really inspired me to explore more of the space around Decree. I changed the downside to opponent gaining 3 life. 

4.Wayfarer - Thanks for your kind words here. I’m a big fan of simple, elegant designs. I think that its abilities evoke flavor in a really subtle way. I’m glad you liked it.

5. Fumarole Craghorn - Changed this to a cmc 3, with the discard happening at the beginning of each of your combats. I think I over estimated the value of a turn 1 haster.

• @Rayne-Lord
    1. Era Ender - I changed him to a Giant warrior with different art, felt more appropriate to the name. However I think you’ve forgotten that Ravage, while inspired by Exploit, is a repeatable attack trigger. It does nothing the turn it comes out unless you give it haste somehow. So I wonder if that would change your worries regarding it. Also, any good ideas for a name instead of Ravage? I needed something that could be used as a verb, and its the best idea I had for when a creature indiscriminately pillages. Similar to how devour creatures devour your own dudes.

Wow, for some reason I thought it was an ETB trigger. Completely missed the mark on that one and that changes things quite a bit. My apologies.

• edited April 2022
    @hileandr Here are still some of the cards I made changes to since their video review:
    Descendant of Deception
    Syr Aban, Adventurous Sorcerer
    Xanmire, Bloodthirsty Tyrant
  • @hileandr
    While i am waiting for judge on video, I add some tribal planewalkers.