Very strange rules question

Are there multiple command zones for each commander similar to graveyards, or is it just one command zone which all commanders are in, similar to exile?

Comments

• I believe there is only one command zone
  • @KorandAngels is there a specific example that calls this rule into question? because that could help
  • Its just that I feel like putting things into the command zone would be a good extended ability for La'ayiv, and this would also be relevant, maybe for an un-card similar to Over My Dead Bodies and Yet Another Aether Vortex.
  • The rules refer to it in the singular "The Commands Zone".   "Your command zone" or a "command zone" are never used on the cards.  So, just one of them to all appearances.

Right now there are no cards that make this matter.    Commanders can only be used by their player.   Emblems say who they affect.  Currently all cards with some "in the command zone" thing specify "you" - the owner.

Now the design space of having something in the command zone that affects or that can be used by a team-mate, opponent, or any other player is not something they have explored.

It would be possible to use the command zone as an "Really really exiled" area.  As the rules only allow for commanders to be cast form the it.   "Cast from exile" clauses could not touch them there.   Not even a Wish could retrieve such a card - it is still in the game.

I thought of Marsil the Pretender for an effect like this.  Be he is someone we know holds people prisoner and they have escaped.  I think you were trying to say Lazav, who would be a good example of a gut who permanently disappears people in a way nobody understands as he takes their place.
  • There are also Conspiracies....
  • Yes. Conspiracies. I have a great one. I would assume (I’m not a pro, so don’t take my word for it) that conspiracies go in the singular command zone with all the commanders.
    Thank you all for your time,
    -LHunter
  • I just asked a pro (he once owned a legit black lotus) and he said that there is a command zone for each player. Conspiracies go in the command zone of the player that ones them with that player’s commander.
    Thank you for reading,
    -LHunter
  • @KorandAngels
    when i first read your comment "There are also Conspiracies...." i immediately thought there were conspiracies out there that multiple command zones exist or something... lol - thank @Lhunter for clarifying Conspiracy cards!
  • Anytime! Love to help!
    Thank you all for your time,
    -LHunter
  • Rule 400.1. A zone is a place where objects can be during a game. There are normally seven zones: library, hand, battlefield, graveyard, stack, exile, and command. Some older cards also use the ante zone. Each player has their own library, hand, and graveyard. The other zones are shared by all players.

Everyone shares the Command Zone.
  • Interesting
  • Wowzers. He was wrong. Welp. Glad to know the correct answer.