Confrontation challenges - Expedition to Anigrima

2»

Comments

• edited December 2017
    The second confrontation challenge - Expedition to Anigrima

Story

Its spring on the 723'rd year of the fourth seraphim.
    The new conflict between the kingdom of Asenthia and the sovereignty of Zargoth is growing more fierce each year.
    If the conflict evolved into a full scale war it would affect the nothern seas and probably Vallarheim as well. This would end in disaster for the warrior & sailor nation.
    Queen Friana of Vallarheim knows that they are not ready for such a conflict so she had ordered her husband Breghorn to sail north deep into Anagrima to find a powerful coldfrost crystal which can be used if the war would come.
    Breghorn, just happy to leave the city life for a while accepts the order even though he does not have much of a choice.

image image

During the summer months the deep rivers of Anigrima thaws making it possible to sail deep into the land where the crystals are located.
    The crew will first sail at to the Vallar-Anigrima coast to the frozen gate which during summer is open. The expedition will continue from here upstream the temporary rivers as they crosses through Anigrimas pine forests. At the lakes' end the crew will have to walk the last part through the forests and then over the mountain landscape, exposing them for the freezing climate.

Instructions
    *You'll take the role of the crew under Breghorn's command, this means that Breghorn is a card for you to use.
    *The only card that you will definitely face is Frost of Anigrima which will occur during the last phase of the expedition.
    *No monster encounter is guaranteed but to avoid facing the most dangerous ones the crew will need to explore the land before hand as they are not able to deal with the largest monsters. The crew must be able to deal with the more average monsters however.
    * You do not yet have a transport so you'll need to get at least one ship.
    * You'll need to explore the land as you travel, this is done by fetching for islands, forests and mountains respectively. The more lands of each type you fetch the lower the risk of encountering any monsters is in that region.
    *Cooporate together so you'll be able to retrieve the crystal.

Objectives:
    - Build at least one ship
    - Explore the land
    - Defend yourself if neccesary
    If these are fullfilled you'll retrieve the coldfrost crystal

Requirements:
    Available colors: Blue, Red, Green
    Available card types: any card type but maximum 1 planeswalker.
    Maximum mana: none really but this time you'll be on a budget for a total mana cost of 25. I will take into consideration alternative costs. (this may change during the first week)

Cards per person: no limitation!
    Cards that will be chosen for the deck: limited by mana budget.

The challenge closes Friday the 15'th of December.
    If you have any questions, gladly send a message to me, i don't bite.
    Good luck and have fun!

If you want to use Breghorn's coldblood ability here are some examples for other old cards:
    (Be aware of some lack of quality control!)
    https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/icewind-valkyrie?list=set&set=16834
    https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/skull-knacker?list=set&set=16834
    https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/call-the-clans-1?list=set&set=16834
    https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/mage-of-ice-ember?list=set&set=16834

• edited November 2017
    Ok nevermind.
  • @sanjaya666 Is something wrong or badly explained?
    I would be happy to straighten out the instructions if they are lacking.

two reasons why this fits: it's a boat/vehicle that add land when tapped AND the ship in this art looks like the one in the background of Breghorn xD
  • @Jonteman93 , I believe boats are no longer considered creatures since they introduced the vehicles...

If something(s) would attack our expedition, the vanguards will be the first in the line of defense!
  • edited November 2017
    A local shaman also desires the use of the crystal. He agrees to help guide them and protect them if he can just use a shard of it. ]

• bumb

I will increase the deadline as there is a low amount of entries at the moment.
    The new deadline will occur the 8'th of December.
  • @Jonteman93 - Question: Do we all have to create our own ship or can we all use @Credius's ship?
  • probably can make your own, but I got dibs on breghorn's XD
  • @TenebrisNemo
    Like the earlier challenge you will all share the pool of entry cards and cards i provide you (Breghorn in this case) so yes. you may use Credius's ship.

You guys may also however consider to create additional ships as if you only have one ship and it is destroyed you'll be screwed, this or if you can ensure to protect the ship from any monster that may appear.
  • experimental mechanic, hope it's within reason:

• @Credius

Unfortunately, this is pretty broken and relatively backwards.

Why would it gain hexproof if it immediately gets exiled?

This is basically life insurance combined with instant damage--This is Shock with buyback (R) on a stick at its worst.

The mechanic itself can be fixed if the exile clause was a self-bounce to the top of your library. I like it in concept, but it needs some work.
  • I thought since it's limited to combat phase only it's a pretty neat thing, originally I wanted this effect to happen without a cost, but when it was targeted by a spell or an ability, but couldn't find a clear wording for that
  • edited November 2017
    @Credius
    Here you go. (Edited)
    -----
    Wildaxe {r}{r} (Before attacking during combat, you may pay this creature's Wildaxe cost and exile it until your next upkeep. If you do, it deals damage equal to its power to target player.)
    -----
  • edited November 2017

People of the north are used to harsh weathers and rough terrain. Exploring Anigrima is not impossible for them.

@Jonteman93 - I reformatted the coldblood keyword into proper MTG language. What do you think?
  • Seems like a cool mechanic kewl
  • @TenebrisNemo It do make a small difference mechanical wise but the wording is much better and it makes more sense. I'll definitely use your wordings in future cards with coldblood.

The whole Vallarheim awaits the people of the expedition within their homes. Drakkar of Firebringers makes sure their journey does not end up in the freezing climate.
  • Friana have sent reinforcements as Breghorn seems to have some difficulties.
    Erdnan a formidable hunter and an excellent scout together with his trusty companion.
    A longship from the Kian belt, a slow and heavy ship that requires a large crew but its made from the great kian wood so its crew should be able to withstand most storms.

image image

Update
    As the interest is still quite low, i will remove the card limitation, also it does not give much to this challenge either way so.
    I have also come to realise the amount of time i need to conclude the challenge so i will move the deadline to friday the 15th when i begin my "vacation".
  • Every expedition needs a navigator. Introducing: Sydd the master cartographer of the Vallarheim kingdom. His knowledge in mapmaking and navigation are second to none, and working with all those delicate instruments has made him an expert in the repair of various objects, like boats and artifacts.

Knowing that they would be venturing into the frozen wastes, one of their possible recruits was a young pyromancer. His fire magics, even if a little wild, would easily be able to thaw out the frozen explorers quickly leaving them ready for action again... after finding a change of clothes. on second thought, maybe we should leave him home?

• Young pyromancer is literally a card name
  • well... theres literally a few thousand MTG cards. i can't be expected to know them all off the top of my head... :/
  • IK there are like 21,000, but it really depends how long you have been playing
  • @zephyr6066 A tip would be to google names that are made up of ordinary words or mtg-lore names just to get a quick check. I have done the same misstake with Ancestral Knowledge.
    You don't have to rename your entry though for the sake of the challenge. I will treat it as any other entry either way.
    Also, i will treat Sydd as a legendary creature even though you gave it the type "creature" :)
  • ok. he was supposed to be legendary. i remade him a few times. and thanks for the advice ill keep it in mind.
  • I will accept submits until tomorrow in 24 hours or something.
    I will submit the conclusion in 2-3 episodes from then.

I appreciate feedback if you like this kind of challenge and if you would like it to continue.
This discussion has been closed.