Post your cards here. Actually see what others think.

Comments

• Heart of Earth is expensive, but has a strong effect. And making artifact spells more expensive sounds bad at first, but in the right deck this will be strong.
    I could imagine playing this in a tron deck, pumping out some artifacts fast and then playing this Heart of Earth.
  • @LvB
    So should I reduce the mana cost or alter the second ability to make it balanced? Or it's fine the way it is?
  • It totally depends on the deck. i think its fine as it is now.
  • @LvB
    Okay, thank you for feedback!

I will put another card here for feedback, then I will wait until someone posts card to get a feedback.

Basically like Nevinyrral's Disk, but exiles all nonland permanents.
  • LvBLvB
    edited September 2023
    Protection from everything doesnt help against the "exile all permanents" effects because it doesnt target. The black hole will still exile itself.
    To make it work, you could make it like this:
    Portable black hole enters the battlefield tapped.
    "1, Tap, exile portable black hole until the end of the current phase: Exile all nonland permanents"
    Heres my card:
    Maybe too powerful.
  • @LvB
    That is the point. This should be once effect, not more than that. My intention was make it inevitable to exile all that no one can stop it.

Normally, when someone taps to trigger something, another person can just either counter that or stop that from doing so.

Portable Black Hole becomes protected from everything, even its controller, making it impossible to stop it from exiling all nonland permanents.

As for Omnitoken,
    If someone uses this for a lot of food tokens, then a very big, bad creature is casted because food tokens gave mana, so yes. However, that's rare condition. So, it depends on the deck.

I would make it lose the legendary then ability would all go to only itself artifact then decrease its rarity to rare. Otherwise, increase its mana value to 6 mana, mainly because of treasure token.
  • edited September 2023
    @FireOfGolden Portable Black Hole doesn't work how you want it to. The protection from everything only applies during resolution, at which point nobody can act anyway. Players can still act normally before the ability resolves. If you want it to be 'unstoppable,' you'd have to give it something similar to split second. For example:
    {1}, {t}: Exile all nonland permanents. As long as this ability is on the stack, players can’t cast spells or activate abilities that aren’t mana abilities.
    Even then though, players can still take special actions (e.g. turning a morph creature face-up) and such in response to Portable Black Hole since those don't use the stack.
  • @cadstar369
    That's what am I looking for! Thanks!
  • LvBLvB
    edited September 2023
    Or something like this:

"Shroud and Indestructable, while untapped.
    Portable Black Hole enters the Battlefield tapped.
    {1}, {t}: Exile all nonland permanents. This ability cant be countered."
  • @LvB @cadstar369
    I will go for;

Portable Black Hole enters the battlefield tapped.

{1},{t}: When this ability is put on the stack, Portable Black Hole gains protection from everything until end of turn. Exile all nonland permanents.

I prefer to "When giant rock sphere comes down, it cannot be stopped." The moment that ability is put onto the stack, it has protection from everything now. Does that ability works the way I intent it to?
  • LvBLvB
    edited September 2023
    That doesnt work.

Opponent can still play something like this then: "Counter target activated ability."
    You pay 1 and tap to activate, then the effect goes on the stack.
    Then the opponent uses something to counter the ability, that counter goes on the stack too, but will resolve first before your ablity is activated.

Lets say your "When this ability is put on the stack, Portable Black Hole gains protection from everything until end of turn. Exile all nonland permanents." is "A"
    Then enemy plays ""Counter target activated ability.", lets call it "B".

A is put on the stack, then B is put on the stack and then because thats how the stack works B resolves first, counters A and A doesnt happen.

And protection does nothing because it will only protect the portable black hole from being targeted, but spells that counter its activated ability do NOT target the portable black hole but the activated ability of it while its on the stack. And that ability/effect doesnt have protection.

But to be fair, there aint many cards out there that can counter abilities, so its unlikely the enemy has something like that in hand.
  • edited September 2023
    Maybe “abilities of portable black hole can be used as if they had split second”?
  • LvBLvB
    edited September 2023
    Probably the best way to achieve this is to use the wording of split second.
    "As long as this spell/ability/effect is on the stack, players can't play spells or activated abilities that aren't mana abilities"
    Heres an example of a card with split second whos an ability counter as well.

For portable black hole its text should then read:

"Portable Black Hole enters the battlefield tapped.
    {1},{t}: "Exile all nonland permanents. As long as this effect is on the stack, players can't play spells or activated abilities that aren't mana abilities."

Cardstar already wrote that earlier. But thats the way to make it work like you want it to, that once activated nothing can prevent it from happen (except a few rare things).

Something like
    "T, counter target activated ability: Add GG" would still work
    Or turning a card face up that says: "When turned face up counter target ability."
  • Gotcha, thanks! I will remember that next time I make something like that.
  • Hey, could you revise this card?

• @smax765
    Asphyixate is just colorless verison of Lava Coil, but it's common and instant... And targets planewalker as well. I would say everything are balanced.

If you make it uncommon, you can have it exile creature/planewalker when it dies to that spell. Just like Lava Coil, that is.
  • Thanks! This card would be a very useful card on any magic deck!
  • @smax765
    No problem!

I would like a feedback on this card as well;

(Light creatures cannot be target of nonpermanent black cards.)

• @FireOfGolden I'm pretty sure you're required to review the previous card before posting yours.

The card itself is pretty balanced with a few changes. The entire tax ability might need to be revised because it's just a second commander, which can get out of hand very fast via a good mana source or counter remover. Adding a cost that's harder to pay repetitively like escape might be a better idea.

The wording of the second ability should be "You may cast Kris from your graveyard or exile by paying {2} for each tax counter you have in addition to its mana cost."

The light creature mechanic could work in that specific custom set but wouldn't really work in normal magic for the same reason fear didn't. This could be easily fixed with some synergy or tweaking though. It could also be almost completely replaced by "hexproof from black".

Overall a great card. Should probably be tweaked a little.

https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/kain-reflection-crosser
    Kain Reflection Crosser

• @jaceberlin
    I already gave a feedback to Asphyixate before submitting a card. Are you saying that I should give a review again before doing so?

I agree with you on second ability, but as for light creature, if I rephrase this "Light creatures have shroud from black spells". Will this way work similar as "Light creatures cannot be target of nonpermanent black cards."?
  • edited September 2023
    @jaceberlin The card is really broken. I will start with phasing. For creatures may be OK, but for a planeswalker is really broken. If having it, players can't attack that planeswalker, making it very powerful. Both abilities are also broken. The first one draws you a card each turn AND gives you an additional phasing effect. That effect should be at least "-3" if you want to keep the mana cost. The second ability is also broken. I will give the planeswalker an ability with "+1: Whenever one or more reflections you control attack, create a copy of one of them but it is 1/1". That will keep the main theme and balance the card. Finally, I will make its starting loyalty 3. That makes the card balanced, you get a good planeswalker and a 3/4.

@FireOfGolden as jaceberlin said, the light mechanic could be changed by hexproof from black. The commander effect could be balanced. There is another wording issue in the first ability. It should say "When Kris leaves the battlefield, you get a tax counter".
  • I would like some feedback here. 

I am also giving some flavor to the card. It is part of the background of my new god-based DnD campaign.
    You don't have to go with them. - said the life god. - You should just reap what you sow.
    Well, then I am bored of reaping what YOU sow. - Replied Agnor.
  • edited September 2023
    @smax765
    That's not what phasing does. Looking at the reminder text, phasing is a 1 round in one round out system. The planeswalker enters along with the reflection, which phases out. The opponent gets 1 turn to attack the planeswalker and the planeswalker gets an ability. During the next round the reflection phases in and gets whatever effect it was given last turn and the planeswalker phases out (getting protection from attacks but also being unable to use abilities).
  • Oh! I thought that phasing was “at the beginning of your end step, this card phases out”.
  • @smax765
    Nah, phasing means "This permanent phases out or phases in before your untap step." I don't think planewalker's ability can be activated before the untap step, so I would say it's fair.

While phased out permanent is treated by game as if it it doesn't exist at all. It could be said as if they were removed from the game rather than exiled.

@jaceberlin
    But for second ability, it seems a little too powerful to me. It can work like a sorcery and use it to irreversible "exile" two creatures from the game without phasing. Perhaps give them temporary Phasing until they phases in back?

Third ability looks good, but I have a problem with it; I see no reason why legendary must be removed from copy of reflection creature, if it's not legendary? Did I missed something?

@smax765
    Now, back to you for Agnor.

You don't have to add "." At end of key words ?

I would say everything look balanced to me, but there is a wording issue;

Instead of whatever is that, you can word like this;

"At beginning of your combat step, create a black 1/1 Spirit token with first strike, then target creature gets -X/-X until end of turn. Where X is equal to number of Spirits you control." Notice that I capitalized Spirit. That is because it's a subtype to creature and 1/1 signals game that it is a creature, hence, I don't have to mention creature and that way saves some room.

As for third ability, I am unsure about it. Maybe you don't need "For" in beginning sentence?

Good card regardless!

I would like to know whether it is abusable or not.

• LvBLvB
    edited September 2023
    "Ancient Device from Time" is so powerful, if it was a real card it would get insta banned.

i would play it together with Donate or harmless Offering to give it to the enemy and then use Voltaic Key and Blinkmoth Well to tap and untap the ancient device, denying the enemy all of his turns.
  • @LvB
    ... I didn't think of that. I wanted to know if it's abusable and here's an answer.

If I do something like this;
    "When Ancient Device from Time enters the battlefield or becomes untapped, skip your turn. Permanents you don't control that untaps Ancient Device from Time doesn't trigger this ability.

{4}{u}{u},{t}: Take an extra turn after this."
    Would it become fair again?

• Maybe if the card could only tap or untapped only on “normal ways” it could be fair:

”if Ancient device from Time would tap or untap and it’s not because of being your untap step or an ability of the ancient device of time, ancient device of time phases out.”

This effect also makes the ancient device more sneaky, because you can use a normal twiddle to protect it. That could increase the mana value to 5 but I think is a good option.

I would like some feedback on this cards. Maybe some of them are very powerful, but I wanted to create a complete cycle of dual lands that enter untapped plus two lands that can give mana of any color.

For the Unexplored lands, you must find a way to put it onto the battlefield but not playing it (eg: Arboreal Grazer)
  • LvBLvB
    edited September 2023
    Problem here: All of them have different activation costs so they have diffrent strengths.
    The red/black with discard could be powerful in a madness deck.
    The blue green could be powerful with a permanent that untaps lands when it comes into play (infinite mana circle).
    So i think if you make dual lands for all colors, they should all have the same strength.

A while ago i did something close to the unexplored lands

• edited September 2023
    It’s true! Maybe when you tap the si mic land it can phase out…

But the different abilities was made to give a variety and to increase the flavor of the color pair decks as once they were. I like playing golgari toxic, but I also remember my golgari undergrowth.