Post your cards here. Actually see what others think.

Comments

• @Astrophibian
    ALL colors can discard, but it depends on what it benefits them.

Red is about rushing and chaos. Hence, red player will discard a card to empower or draw another card.

Blue is about strategic and planning ahead. Hence, it allows blue player to draw a card first then determine which to discard.

Black is about blood for power and drain the lifeforce. It is somewhat same as Red, but more of strategic rather than chaos. Hence, black player can cause other player to discard or he or she may discard a card for power.

Green is about taking time to grow strong and converting power to different power. That way, green player may discard a card for another card that share same type or perhaps lands from their graveyard.

White is about keeping creatures safe... And its user and outlast out all other colors. Because of that, White may use discard a card to gain some life or to create some creatures for some protection. Again, this is usually rare.

@cadstar369
    I see similar between Firestorm and Everlasting Torment, the difference is Everlasting Torment isn't green, costs one more, and applies its controller. If I compare that to Firestorm, then Firestorm is just a verison two-mana cost of Everlasting Torment applies all players but its controller. I would like to see it costing just one more then it would be balanced.

I think red is dissatisfied with Firestorm and it would like one of first or second ability to apply its controller to keep it chaotic. If it were to me, I would go for second ability; "Damage can't be prevented." That way would make red happy and Firestorm stays balanced.

I like how green makes Firestorm Pollen to not mostly apply to its controller.

Hence;
    Firestorm Pollen {1}{b/r}{g}
    Rare Enchantment
    "Your opponent can't gain life.

Damage can't prevented.

Any dealt damage to permanents under opponents control as if source had wither."

You forgot to type "C" in control, but it can be fixed easily.

Back to @Astrophibian,
    Green cannot cause other people to discard a card, even if the ability is restricted, third ability shatters that color pie.

However, green can offer an easy protection from black and allowing Herf to have another ability based on its mana cost, but extra ability throws its balance off.

Hence, I would increase mana cost by between one to two or reduce power/toughness down to 1/1.

Herf, Maplegrove Tyrant {2}{g}{g}
    Legendary creature - Squirrel Noble
    1/1

"Protection from black.

At beginning of each end step, if a player discarded cards this turn, create a green 1/1 Squirrel creature token.

{1}{b}, {t}: Each opponent discards a card. Activate only if you casted a Squirrel spell this creature."

I would like a feedback on this;

Forgotten creatures have a reminder text goes "At beginning of your end step, put a -1/-1 counter on this Forgotten creature unless you discarded cards this turn."

Anicent Dual Wielder doesn't have haste. So, if controller didn't discard a card then it will be instead 4/1 and is ready to deal for 8 damage rather than 10. Reasonable for {2}{r}{r}?

• edited February 7
    @FireOfGolden
    I am a bit confused. It sounded like the third ability was bad but then it sounded workable? I guess it's just based on what the discard does. I don't remember seeing alot of greens do disard, but I also haven't played in 10 years. 

Ancient Dual Wielder:
    That 5/2 with DS makes it a 10/2 in most cases. It's very easy for red player to find a way to give it Haste. I'd probably make it 4/2 or increase cost by 1. Just to kinda even things out.
    The ping ability is situational, but overall good.
  • @Astrophibian
    Let me rephrase that;

Third ability in its currently wording and activate cost shattered the color pie, because green cannot cause players to discard cards. To fix color pie, activate cost uses black mana rather than green to activate.

There is a sorcery - I can't remember name - causes to each oppoent discard two cards for {2}{b}{b}. This is same cost as ability, so since it's activate ability, it's good. Otherwise you can have it cost low to {1}{b} but you will have to add {t} to limit abusable.

It is usually rare for white and green to discard something for benefit.

Red player can find way to give haste, but they then would have a hard time to find way for discarding system to work. Forgotten creatures requires discarded cards as fuel to keep go on. Otherwise, the fire will get smaller and smaller until there is nothing but ash.
  • @FireOfGolden
    So I'm still not understanding.
    I thought the theme this week is to *break* the color pie by adding things they normally can't do while trying to balance it with the gameplay formula(s).
  • edited February 7
    @Astrophibian the two cards you brought up are nigh-wholly incomparable to Firestorm Pollen. Both are legendary, monocolored, of different rarity, and have completely unrelated effects. Perhaps there would be something to unpack if you'd presented cards with even slightly similar effects (as FireOfGolden has with Everlasting Torment), but what is meant to be "obvious" about your opinion when there appears to be no reasonable argument supporting it?

@FireOfGolden note that, as a general rule, two generic mana is equivalent to one colored mana (it's gotten hard to find proper examples since most cards have little extra effects tacked on, but a pair like Verdant Haven and Trace of Abundance will serve well enough here), so It should be fine to put a card like Everlasting Torment at MV2 so long as it's double colored mana, and the addition of a third color (i.e. an additional restriction on what decks can play the card) should be sufficient to justify giving it a stronger effect than if it remained in BR.

Regarding the effects themselves, given the existence of cards like Questing Beast and Winds of Qal Sisma, one could argue that Firestorm Pollen's second ability is green and the other two are black/red, thus there appears to be no need to make any of the effects symmetric from a color standpoint.
  • edited February 7
    @cadstar369
    That was the point. They are legendary and yours does 3x more than they do for much less of a cost.

One has the same cost. Does less. Is legendary.
    One costs a tiny bit more. Still does less albeit with a drawback as well. 

You lack the justification of the 2 mana cost for a complete shift in the owner's favor with no drawbacks. As it sits, it feels broken.

I would suggest some kind of upkeep or the ability to choose either on owner's turn or during each turn between the three if the cost remained that low.
  • @FireOfGolden
    Are forgotten creatures a new thing or something homebrewed?
  • @Astrophibian
    Forgotten creature isn't a new thing, nor is in MTG.

• @FireOfGolden
    That's also why I asked if it was homebrewed.
    Which you confirmed it is. 
  • @cadstar369
    Well, in that case, I still feel that it should cost one more.

@Astrophibian
    Since your intention was to shatter the color pie, then I have no reason to point out about third ability issue. The issue remains in balance; The mana cost still should be increased to 4 or 5.  To avoid abuse possible, add {t} to third ability because Herf is only green creature that can cause the players to discard cards.
  • @FireOfGolden
    Ok. Thanks for the help. I'll make updates.
  • @Astrophibian that argument is completely nonsensical. Is Multiple Choice sketchy because it has up to three effects and flexibility while Urza's Ruinous Blast has only one? Is Trading Post broken because it has four effects when Paradox Engine only has one and costs 1 more? Are Classes and Sagas ridiculous because they have lots of effects but Backgrounds like Agent of the Iron Hand don't? Is virtually every one-drop creature absurd since Isamaru, Hound of Konda is vanilla?

You're failing to account for the actual content of the cards; reducing them to "does X things, has Y drawbacks" is completely disingenuous. To put it another way, you're saying all effects are equally powerful (which is blatantly false) and rarity is irrelevant (mostly false; some cards have been upshifted/downshifted).

That said, I justified Firestorm Pollen's current form in my previous comment. Do you have any substantive objections to that reasoning, anything that might serve as a design guidepost for a future reader, or does it just "feel broken"? (Not that such an assessment is invalid, but it's not particularly helpful either.)
  • edited February 8
    @cadstar369
    The issue is how *strong* each one is, but apparently something like this has mixed reviews, pros and cons. 
    The issue is the cost to abilities given. You can so much for so little cost. 
    The most common I get from sharing this is to address the cost or to activate 1 or 2 situationally while the other(s) is a static passive. To do all three on turn 2 or three with 2 mana is insane. 
    The card *itself* is fine with the abilities given, it is just how to mechanically make it balanced *with* those abilities. 
  • @FireOfGolden
    I took some of your advice.

https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/herf-tyrannical-duke

Herf Tyrannical Duke

Let me know what you think :)
  • edited February 8
    @Astrophibian
    I would say everything looks good, Herf works the best with black deck which love to keep opponents' hand empty... Ironically.

Stepping back all way to...
    @KorandAngels

I don't know much about the game, but I heard good things about it. So, forgive me if I failed to catch any reference. I will treat it as if it's offical MTG card that makes through to the battlefield.

Hornet, Martyr of Hallownest has a lot of stuff going around, making it hard to track what's going on, but... It's too powered for its mana cost - Actually, is more likely to be banned before it even makes the way.

You have six keywords, and your mana cost allows only up to three based on rarity. To avoid color pie being shattered, I would prefer Double strike, vigilance, and exalted. Keep in mind, treat the keywords as if they were normal words in a sentence. First keyword is always capitalized, but after that isn't capitalized.

"Prevent all damage would be dealt to Hornet" is powerful ability, forcing mana cost increase by one white mana. ({3}{w}{w}{r})

I think there is a wording issue in third ability, but I am not sure;
    "{1}{w},{t}: Until end of turn, whenever a source would dealt damage to you, it deals that much damage to Hornet instead."

Rather than damage being prevented, the damage is assigned from you onto Hornet then Hornet is marked for damage.

In term of mana cost, I would reduce power down to 2.

Hence;
    Hornet, Martyr of Hallownest {4}{w}{w}{r}
    Legendary creature - Spider God Warrior
    2/5

"Double strike, vigilance, exalted

Prevent all damage would be dealt to Hornet

{1}{w},{t}: Until end of turn, whenever a source would dealt damage to you, it deals that much damage to Hornet instead."

I hope that helps!

@bramboy99
    Would you give me one of cards you submit, please? Thanks.

I would a feedback on this card;

Outlast belongs to green and white only, hence, that way this breaks color pie. However, it's... Balanced, hopefully.
  • @FireOfGolden
    On the topic of ancient dual wielder, the card is good overall with its text and flavor text but for a creature with double strike, there is a small problem.

Firstly whenever I see a creature with double strike, its power is relatively low, as it attacks twice. If you were to have that with a higher cost then maybe it could work a bit better. For instance 3RR or even higher as for four mana, it basically takes out most attacking or blocking creatures with ease.

Another small thing I would quickly change is its ability. Red cards I find have alot of discard effects. Again, maybe just bumping up the cost would make it a bit better in my opinion.

But I'm no expert so If anyone else would like to comment then go ahead.

Anyway here is another card I would like some feedback on:

• @Floodkiller45

Seems mostly good, but I'd drop the cost by 1.
    The drawbacks and benefits balance each other out IMHO. It definitely makes the player choose to either have it on their creature or keep an opponent from defending maybe with a powrful creature.
  • edited February 8
    @cadstar369 My opinion of the card hasn't changed since anti-counter cards like solemnity (or other infect/wither hozers), will still always replace that unpreventable damage into counters that are negated, that still feels anti-synergistic compaired to regulair damage. But as I said previously: solid card especially for eternal formats.

Also: "red does have some funky counterspells, just no direct spell exiling" you're right. I was thinking along the lines of wrath/damnation but for this spell that doesn't make sense.

And about thought swap: i didn't know rule 402.3 existed making the card even worse, but it's ment to be a jank card so it's just for laughs at a table.

• edited February 8
    @FireOfGolden I like the design of the flip card. Mulitarms walker seems like a solid card. Hardened-shell mulitarmer seems on the weak side: it's stats are lower than Mulitarms walker, the outlast cost is hard to achieve and is very time consuming. There are only a couple of spells creating inklings and outlast makes you tap the creature at sorcery speed. Its semi-hexproof and giving inklings outlast is in most cases not worth its transform cost of sacrifice/pay/worse stats. (Small thing: Hardened-shell multiarmer is spelled Harden-shell mulitarmer in the textbox) Otherwise looks like a fun card. Hope this helps.

here's another of mine:

• edited February 8
    @bramboy99
    This is good. I might add something like "unless opponent taps". Something for them to think when cards like this hit the field. Looks good otherwise. 

Also the flavor text is shunted in a weird way. Might just be the website.

Anywho, this is an older card I made with an Elden Ring theme lol.

https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/moonveil-slash-1

• @Astrophibian Thanks, I typed the flavour text a bit shunted otherwise it looked off imo.
    Maybe a if any opponent pays 5 or 6 it would give them a slim option as you have to pay 4 already.

Moonveil Slash reminds me a bit of how you would often use kolaghan's command: dealing damage and discarding. I dont see that much effect in the mill ability except if they scryed. Its expensive and not that versatile but in a draft this is an easy 2 for 1 and great pickup. Like the design but for 4 mana i wish the U effect was better. Fun card though!
  • @bramboy99
    Yeah, the U ability was to kind of counter scry. I think minus 1 on the cost would make this more feasible. Thanks.
  • @Floodkiller45
    While it's fairly easy for red player to discard cards, but they must find way to keeping drawing and discarding in order to keeping triggering the ability AND to keep Forgotten creatures strong and alive. If they failed to discard at least a card at their end step, Forgotten creature becomes weaker by putting a -1/-1 counter. However, I could just decrease power down to 4 to keep it balanced, after all, it can deal up to 10 damage, so if I do that, it deals 8 damage instead.

Curse of the Wicked Vine is little strange. Only usually Aura enchantment attachs to creatures while Aura Curse enchantment attachs to player. The way you word it, your intention was to curse creature and once creature dies, its controller may search for a basic land. Hence, this Aura enchantment doesn't work way as you intended to.

I think you could get away with just down between one to two mana because there is a downside is your opponent gets a free basic land.

Word this way instead:

Curse of the Wicked Vine {1}{b}{g}
    Uncommon Enchantment - Aura

"Enchant creature

Enchanted creature gets -1/-1 and have decayed.

When enchanted creature dies, its controller may search their library for a basic land, put it onto their battlefield tapped, then shuffle their library."

@bramboy99
    Treat name of card as if it's title of book.

"The Soul Orb."

I feel like The Soul Orb could be white and black rather than black and red because white would exile a creature until permanent leaves the battlefield. Black instead make it permanently - hehe, pun - while red don't exile creatures much.

Because how powerful is the ability, the rarity might have to be mystic rather than rare and I think you might have to increase the requirement to win game from 7 to 10. It is always easy to ramp up to about 6 mana total availability within two turns with right cards in hand. (I once managed to get up 4 mana availability within a turn. Luckly, am I right?)
    But, then you limit that by narrowing ability to only creatures under opponent control, well done.

I would increase ability cost by one mana or add {t} then decrease cost by one. Black players don't care about creatures they control and is willingly to sacifice their own creatures to trigger that ability.

Hence;

The Soul Orb {w/b}
    Mystic Legendary artifact 

"{2}{w/b},{t}: Exile target creature you don't control until The Soul Orb leaves the battlefield. If there are 10 or more exiled creatures with The Soul Orb, you win the game."

Moving to @Astrophibian for Moonveil Slash, another color pie breaker from you. Since your intention is to shatter color pie, I will keep out of your hair about it and focus on else issues.

Dealing damage always have a source, but Moonveil Slash doesn't have a source to deal damage. To fix this issue, word this instead;

"Moonveil Slash deals 3 damage to target tapped creature."

Another strange wording, but fortunately for you, I have encountered it before. Since these ability concerns about what mana is spent to cast this spell, word this way instead:

"If a blue mana was spent to cast Moonveil Slash's colored mana cost, target opponent puts their top library into their graveyard."

"If a black mana was spent to cast Moonveil Slash's colored mana cost, target opponent discards a card."

Overall looks good to me;
    Moonveil Slash {3}{u/b}
    Uncommon Instant

"Moonveil Slash deals 3 damage to target tapped creature.

If a blue mana was spent to cast Moonveil Slash's colored mana cost, target opponent mills a card.

If a black mana was spent to cast Moonveil Slash's colored mana cost, target opponent discards a card."

Thoughts on this card?

Keep that mind, I forgot to remove "bottom" because shuffling the library doesn't matter whenever a card is put into bottom or top of library.

• edited February 13
    @FireOfGolden you're right that the card should be w/b, I choose b/r because the frame fits the art. It's win condition costs 4x7+1=29 mana if all targets stay legal. Maybe this needs to be between 30-40.

Far-Away Entryway. I love this idea as a way to survive blood moon effects. Imo it doesn't need to enter the battlefield tapped as the effect is very specific and used mostly to negate land hate. Sideboard card for sure but negates land hate really well. And if need may be, this card can be used to mana fix. maybe even maindeck if people play a lot of cards like stripmine or field of ruin. What to say but great design.

Please let me know what you guys think of these:

Skip your draw step should instead be you can't draw cards.
    It might break the color pie a bit, maybe this fits better in black or green.

https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/change-of-loyalty-1?list=user

• I suppose "Change of loyalty" is meant to be cast when the opponent casts a creature, then you play change of loyalty in response and its put into play on your side.

I think "gain control" works only with permanents, so i think the better wording here would be: "The next creature with mana value six or less, cast be any player, enters the battlefield on your side instead and is treated as if you had cast it."
    Then enemy casts a creature, in response you play it, creature is on the stack, your spell is on the stack, your spell resolves, then creature spells resolves, but is treated as if you had cast it.

My newest creation. Probably every cat owner knows this situation. Eh, i mean everyone who is blessed to be the can opener for the feline majesty who decided that living in your house is ok, knows it.

• edited February 14
    @LvB Yes you can gain control of spells, for instance commandeer does so, and once a nonland permanent is on the battlefield it isn't treated as a spell anymore. Also it's not like you cast the card with Change of Loyalty. Any cast triggers that would happen will still belong to your opponent (e.g whenever you cast a creature or when you cast x, take an extra turn) and you only casted one spell: that is Change of Loyalty, you will however get the ETB trigger of the creature. It is however a bit confusing, but it follows the rulings of commandeer.

I'd love to just catptured or catpurred a creature, but rather my own creatures, they need it most. I would put a few words differenly though:
    "Enchant creature
    Tap enchanted creature. It loses all abilities and does not untap during its owner's untap step.
    When the enchanted creature becomes untapped, destroy Catptured. When Catptured leaves the battlefield, enchanted creature's controller creates a 1/1 white cat creature token."

The first ability is static, it will always stay on until Catptured leaves the battlefield so 'for as long as this enchantment is in play' is unnecessary. It's also written as an older magic card so I tried to modernize the text a bit without changing what it does. It also needs to specify what to enchant, even if the rest of the text just says creature. When making tokens you always specify whay type it is, even if it has stats. I do suggest sacrificing Catptured when the creature becomes untapped instead of destroying and replacing creature with permanent and enchant creature with enchant creature or planeswalker. You're holding out sweet love from them, ashiok could certainly use a little kitty.

Overal fun and balanced card, i'd see this being a silver border card next unset just because of catlovers and appreciation for the cat paralyzation at WOTC.
  • edited February 15
    @LvB
    Left a comment on Catptured.

Take a look at this double-faced card and leave feedback in the comments:

https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/clear-blades
    https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/blade-soul-1

A fave if you like the designs would be greatly appreciated!
  • lets see about these, please give feedback on both. :)
    Meditative state is a reupload but never got any opinions.
  • @bramboy99

Counter offerings is a very interesting card as black does not offer many counter spells in its colour after all. I think the only small issue is that you should only need to sacrifice one creature for just a counterspell. But overall pretty good card. 

As for meditative state, it seems like when you play that card, you are nerfing yourself for the rest of the game as you cant draw cards, only play one spell per turn and you cant gain life. Also to make it worse, it cant be targeted by spells or abilities so unless your opponent has a card like Farewell, it stays there for the rest of the game.

I would like some feedback for this card:

• @Floodkiller45

Water in the Water. I like the theme, but I think the theme "deathstare" makes me think of....well, death lol.
    Perhaps something like "Aura of Atrophy" or something with decay or withering definitions would be better. Overall, though, I think it it's a great defensive card idea.

Here's mine.
    Be gentle lol. I'm not used to making lands.

https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/esia-fae-sanctuary

Esia Fae Sanctuary