The Hottest Pepper ? Challenge ? Gifted Premium

Comments

• Phew! @Aggroman15
    That was a spicy one. Almost Reaper Level
  • Sorry to disappoint with the crab turtle, but monstrosity has appeared twice: On Theros, yes, but also on Fiora in the second Conspiracy set (Take the Crown).
  • Out from the depths of the darkest cave arises @Lujikul out of absolutely nowhere! What's good with you!?

Yep - @Aggroman15
    You stumped me. The first of many, or will it be the last?
    - Please accept premium or you can opt out.
  • I will accept your gracious offer of premium. Thank you!
  • @Aggroman15
    Gifted! It was just too many variables to isolate and get correct. Of course, I rushed the design and probably could have gotten it right with another couple tries... but I understood the mechanic aspect of your challenge, and I got it wrong. So - if this was Penn and Teller: FOOL US... you FOOLED ME!

Dare you to challenge me again, but if not, who will attempt to befuddle me?
  • As nobody else seems to want to give you another challenge, I’ll, send another one your way that’s been bouncing around in my head for a while:

Create a card that gives one or more players a new type of counter with an innate mechanical ability. (For example, poison counters have the built-in ability of “a player with 10 or more poison counters loses the game.” However, counters like energy and experience have no innate function, they require cards that interact with them in order to do anything.)
  • I also have another pair of related challenges for you:
    • Create a card that has significant upside when played from your library and/or significant downside when not played from your library.
    • Create a spell that can only be cast from your library.
  • edited April 2023
    https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/mind-degrade

Spiciness: ? ? ? ? ? ? ? 
  • This one should be muy caliente: Create a legendary creature card for a character that currently only exists in flavour text quotes/references on three or more cards (i.e., What Ashnod, Flesh Mechanist did for Ashnod's Battle Gear, Ashnod's Cylix, Ashnod's Transmogrant, Cursed Rack, and Staff of Zagon at the time of The Brothers' War).
  • @cadstar369

Spiciness:  ? ? ? ? ? ? 

Expedient Summoner
    Expedient Summoner by jpastor | MTG Cardsmith

Expedient Summoner provides a significant upside when cast from your library, allowing you to tutor for a creature with a low converted mana cost. However, if it is not cast from your library and instead enters the battlefield through other means, it will be exiled when it dies.

Spiciness:  ? ? ? ? ? ? ? 

Hidden Knowledge
    Hidden Knowledge by jpastor | MTG Cardsmith

Hidden Knowledge can only be cast from your library, making it a unique spell that can't be included in your deck. However, it provides significant card advantage by allowing you to draw two cards, making it a potentially powerful tool in the right circumstances.
  • What do you mean when you say Hidden Knowledge can’t be included in your deck? (Your library = your deck, which makes Hidden Knowledge a Divination that’s significantly harder to cast on two fronts.)
  • @Jadefire
    Gatha Tolarian Renegade
    Gatha, Tolarian Renegade by jpastor | MTG Cardsmith

Appears on: 
    https://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=15196
    https://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=15875
    https://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=12148

The card is designed to reflect Gatha's skill in time magic and his rebellion against the Tolarian Academy. The ability to exile cards and play them later represents Gatha's ability to manipulate time, while the time counters represent his continued study and experimentation. The final ability reflects his ultimate triumph against the academy, allowing you to cast his exiled spells for free.

Spicy Level: ? ? ? ? ? ?
  • edited April 2023
    @cadstar369 typo ment to say can *
    Works great in a set where casting cards from library is a thing
  • I have another challenge for you!

Create a card with at most three colors and at least eight colored pips in its mana cost, as well as a maximum of two sentences in the text box (including reminder text, but not including flavor text).
  • @cadstar369
    Spicy Level: ? ? ? ? ? ? ?
    Prism of Chaos
    Prism of Chaos by jpastor | MTG Cardsmith

This was a good but fun challenge, as it requires a good understanding of card design principles and the balancing of mana costs, while also requiring creative economy of language in the card's text box.
  • Here's a challenge:
    A Land with an ability that turns it into a different non-creature card type when a condition or conditions are met.
  • edited April 2023
    @Korora12

Edit: Forgot the Spicy Level - ? ? ? ? ? ? ? It requires some creativity and understanding of how different types of cards work, as well as the ability to create a cohesive and balanced card that fits within the rules of Magic.
    Here is my attempt at meeting the challenge:
    Transmogrifying Terrain
    Transmogrifying Terrain by jpastor | MTG Cardsmith

Below is the Enchantment as a token you could place on top of the card during the game. It has no mana value (for effects that defer to mana value) Edit: Ignore the "emblem;" it's just an Enchantment.

Below is the transformed side.

Transmuting Protector
    Transmuting Protector by jpastor | MTG Cardsmith

Note: The emblem created by the -8 ability synergizes with the enchantment version, Transmutation, if you have another copy on the field.

Rules: If a creature is exiled until end of turn at the end of your turn, it would return to the battlefield at the end of your opponent's turn. This is because the end step is the last step of the turn, so any effects that occur "until end of turn" will expire at the end of the following turn.
  • Create a single card with three diffrent casting costs of which at least two must be in the upper right corner. Every spell cast by this card must break at least one rule that is used by other spells you can cast with the card.
  • @LvB
    Rule  Breaker  Gambit
    Rule | Breaker | Gambit by jpastor | MTG Cardsmith

Creating a card with multiple casting costs can be tricky, and ensuring that each spell cast with the card breaks at least one rule used by other spells can be challenging. Additionally, balancing the power level of the card can also be a difficult task.

Spicy Level: ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? (8)
  • ...but i think i nailed it  B)
  • Almost, but there is only one casting cost in the upper right corner and its not clear which ability costs what.
    Hint: Creating double sided cards or cards that can be rotated by 180° might help.
  • edited May 2023
    @LvB what is unclear? Once it’s apparent this is three cards in one, I can see only one sensible way to interpret what then must be a threefold mana cost in the corner: UU | BB | RR. (I should also note that neither of the card formats in your hint fit your challenge without doing something similar to the above due to the specified location.)
  • Maybe my description was unprecise. What i meant was that the card must have different casting costs and that these casting costs must be in the upper right right corner. Usually this is not possible, because there can be only one cost in the upper right corner... unless you use both sides of the card or rotate it so another corner becomes the upper right corner when rotated or turned.

But, because of unprecise description, ill let your solution to this count ;)
  • @LvB
    It is 3 different costs, but MTGCardsmith removes any symbols - like / or | or , to sepate these mana costs.. even spaces are removed. So, there is no way to separate them in the casting cost. However, I just revisited to see if I can add the symbols BEFORE the names and spacing does not go out the wazoo this way.

Rule  Breaker  Gambit
    Rule | Breaker | Gambit by jpastor | MTG Cardsmith

FYI - if you string the names together... it fits the theme quite fell... Rulebreaker's Gambit
  • edited May 2023
    Here's my spicy challenge:

Create a card that has more than one variable value (X mana cost, * power or toughness, etc.) but that wouldn't seem outrageous to add to a beginner level deck.

(P.S. My wife will judge the card, she's played four or five times.  If she understands it without help, you're good)
  • @StuffnSuch

Challenge Accepted! Here's a card that incorporates multiple variable values while still being suitable for a beginner-level deck:

Adaptive Apprentice

Adaptive Apprentice by jpastor | MTG Cardsmith

? ? ? ? ? ? (6)
  • Though I question whether a creature without a color is a good match for a beginner, it does make sense and my wife says she could play it just fine.
  • @jpastor holding up the mantle for @Faiths_Guide it looks like  :) used to love his one discussion we all go into his bar and order us some good grubs and he'd make his own spicy card with what we requested.

That said! Hmmm ?

I know you love horror films. So can you make a classic universal studios monster card? Any monster would do. Here's the catch: It has to be a creature that can turn into a Planeswalker like the origins set planeswalkers (so for this make the front and back on here). If you did one of each of the classics it'd be epic, but just one would suffice.
  • @exaltedmarauder
    Dracula Lord of Shadows
    Dracula, Lord of Shadows by jpastor | MTG Cardsmith
    Dracula Eternal Conquor
    Dracula, Eternal Conquor by jpastor | MTG Cardsmith

Dracula is one of the most iconic. Maybe not the most powerful. Nonetheless, he's of the utmost Legendary status. Therefore, he deserves an ultimate Ultimate.

Spicy Level: ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? (9)

This challenge requires designing a card that captures the essence of Dracula as a creature and seamlessly transitions into a powerful Planeswalker form. Balancing the abilities, power level, and flavor while adhering to the mechanics of transformation presents a significant challenge. Additionally, maintaining the thematic elements and ensuring the card feels authentic to the iconic character further adds to the complexity.
  • Lets test your storytelling skills: Give me a Siege card that, once defeated, becomes an Equipment. For bonus  points, use a canon location for the Battle to take place in.
This discussion has been closed.