The Idea Library

I created this discussion because sometimes I will have an interesting idea for a card, but decide not to use it for whatever reason. I think all good ideas should be put to use, so this discussion is where you can post interesting ideas for cards you’ve had for others to use.

Rules:
  • More than one person can make a card using the same concept, as long as they aren’t the exact same thing.
  • Card concepts can be anywhere from general to specific.

• Remember to credit the person whose idea you used in your card’s comment section OR tag them on this thread.
  • Not required, but posting an idea whenever you use an idea is recommended.

Comments

• I'll start:

-Force of Won't, an un card that's exactly like Force of Will, but a Sorcery

-An instant that does nothing except have split second (maybe called Deny or something)

-A card that interacts with explore (for example, "Whenever you put a card into your graveyard while exploring, put an additional +1/+1 counter on the exploring creature")
  • Here is an instant that has only split second.

• edited November 2023
    @smax765

Gentle reminder to credit the person whose idea you used in your card's comment section. Not a big deal since I know this idea is from me, but just wanted to let you know for going forward. ?
  • Here's another:

A card that prevents players from paying additional costs and/or paying alternative costs.
  • A card that costs 0, doesn’t have alternative cost and is not overpowered on a storm deck without using things like “this card doesn’t count for the spells you have casted this turn”.
  • edited October 2023
    A card that prevents you from attacking, as well as preventing others from attacking you

Could be a land or enchantment called Neutral Territory or something

Here's another. Doesn't have to be like this, but something along these lines.

Whisperwood Forest (land obviously)

T: Add C

T: Add one mana of any color. Spend this mana only to pay mana costs of face down permanents you control.

• Scrolls (Instants and sorceries are scrolls.) ["Return target scroll from your graveyard to your hand"]
  • @FireOfGolden

Can you elaborate a bit? Is scroll a subtype?
  • @TheDarkKnight1234567

Actually, I changed my mind in that case;

Any instant and sorcery that has scroll as subtype will have no mana value, however, requires some conditions to trigger it then destroy it. (It can be only played like a land rather than casting it. Making it uncounterable.)
  • Here's one:
    Negative power ([cardsmith lets you do that, just put - and then [number] Explainer: Whenever a creature with negative power deals damage to a player or a permanent, that player or that permanent's controller gains life equal to the creature's power's absolute value.)
  • edited October 2023
    @kaoz42

Not to shoot down your idea - I like it, but negative power is already a thing in real MTG (example: Char Rumbler), and negative power basically reads as 0 when dealing damage.

EDIT: And don't forget, use can use the ideas of others in this forum!
  • Yes, but it's a new idea for negative power.
  • @kaoz42
    You might have to make it "Negative Power (Whenever this creature deals combat damage to player, if its power is below 0, that player gains that much life.)" as keyword. Because MTG already have negative power.
  • A card something like gerrard’s hourglass pendant or ugin’s nexus but with skipping phases rather than skipping turns.
  • @TheDarkKnight1234567 ; - A card that prevents players from paying additional costs and/or paying alternative costs.
    Nullmages Ward
    https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/nullmages-ward
  • @smax765 - A card that costs 0, doesn’t have alternative cost and is not overpowered on a storm deck without using things like “this card doesn’t count for the spells you have casted this turn”.
  • edited November 2023
    @jpastor

Friendly reminder to credit the person whose idea you used in the card's comments  :)
  • edited November 2023
    Idea: A Commander for Charge Counter tribal

(Also, I love this thread.  So many cool ideas!)
  • Infected creature (At beginning of your end step, put a -1/-1 counter on this creature. When this creature dies, its infecter's controller creates a copy of this creature expect for it's black and Zombie as additional to others and its base power and toughness is 2.)

• Zone of PeaceWhisperwood ForestTemporal LocketContaminated Ghoul

@TheDarkKnight1234567 ;
    1. a card that prevents you from attacking, as well as preventing others from attacking you Could be a land or enchantment called Neutral Territory or something - Zone of Peace by jpastor | MTG Cardsmith
    2. Doesn't have to be like this, but something along these lines. Whisperwood Forest (land obviously) T: Add C T: Add one mana of any color. Spend this mana only to pay mana costs of face down permanents you control. - Whisperwood Forest by jpastor | MTG Cardsmith
    3. Create A card something like gerrard’s hourglass pendant or ugin’s nexus but with skipping phases rather than skipping turns. - Temporal Locket by jpastor | MTG Cardsmith
    @kaoz42 - negative power just won't work. Every creature in existence deals damage or has 0 power with attached abilities.. now we're attaching those same abilities to something that gives the opponent life, I just don't see the tradeoff unless we cut the mana cost in half... the strategy of turning a creature's power negative as a defensive trick also doesn't work, because it breaks the blue color pie and the game in general unless you curve this into counters of sorts... but then it becomes to niche. There's other ways to word this without making it keyword... for example - when target creature deals damage, you gain that much life instead.

@StuffnSuch - Great idea - i'll let someone else tackle this.. everything i come up with is too wordy.

@FireOfGolden - Create an Infected creature
    1. I went a different route with this one - Contaminated Ghoul by jpastor | MTG Cardsmith

• Uncard: A creature is casted into the graveyard, it can attack or blocks. When it "dies" in graveyard, it's put onto the battlefield as dead creature. It will stay there for rest of the game.

Realistic: Phased out creature's abilites still can be activated or triggered.
  • Idea: A creature that phases out whenever it attacks and phases back in each combat step.
  • A colorless leyline (it should cost 2CC) that prevents opponents from taking pregame actions, or maybe interacting with their sideboard, or maybe lets you choose a new turn order... Something like that.
  • edited November 2023

Sorry about the huge text, I just want to be sure people will see this. Anyway, even though it's totally fine to tag the person whose card idea you used in this discussion, you still have to credit them in the comment section of the card on MTG Cardsmith (you know - when you click on a card and scroll down). I apologize if I was unclear.

Ignore this - I changed my mind

• Idea: A new battle subtype.
  • What if i don't want to follow those rules @TheDarkKnight1234567 - ?
  • https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/graveyard-menace
    https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/ephemeral-phantom-1
    https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/leyline-of-null-influence

I have some ideas (since i reread the rules)
    • An un card that makes people read triggered abilities twice aloud or else the ability is countered.
    • A Lobster creature that is immortal.
    • A stick figure getting eaten by a nonstick monster then transforms into an enchantment that shows the stick figure going all alien on the monster that ate it.
  • Hmmm... Maybe a card that makes players play with their library revealed.