Custom Mechanic: Forerunner Roles

2»

Comments

• Alr! I'll give it a shot. It looks like these planeswalkers were mainly made for two player formats (when you would only have a singular opponent), so for simplicity's sake, I'll give feedback to these planeswalkers relating them in terms of those formats.

Here's my review of Alfidor Old-Eyes

Alfidor Old-Eyes is one of the coolest planeswalker designs I've ever seen. This planeswalker highly encourages you to have a fuller hand size compared to your opponent. When you do so, you get two additional loyalty counters on this planeswalker. State-based abilities are starting to become normalized for planeswalkers, so it's cool to see that in play with this card. Personally, as someone who always loves having a full hand size, this card speaks to me.

First loyalty ability is spicy. super spicy. It's hard to figure out if it's too broken lol. Bouncing things EVERY TURN can feel pretty powerful. Bouncing opposing permanents protects this planeswalker better, but it does makes it less likely to get two loyalty counters on this planeswalker on end step. then you can also practically "draw two cards" with this ability if you have something good to bounce for yourself. The power from this ability really comes from the versatility from it, and if you can protect this planeswalker well, you can really disrupt the opponent well and run away with the game. Keep in mind that if you trigger the state-based ability just ONCE, you can still activate this card's first ability for 4 turns straight.

the second loyalty ability feels a tad underpowered to me. I feel the point of the token is to have it protect your planeswalker as a high-toughness blocker, but there isn't really any profitable route to this card where you can keep both the token and the planeswalker not even by the second turn this card is on the battlefield.

overall, this card is so flavourful, and it seems like a fun card to build around. I also like the art a lot! 90/100
  • (just give me a minute on the other one lol)
  • LOL no worries and no rush! I'm glad the flavor of this card and its mechanic interactions came through. Regarding the second ability, I think you're right about it being not quite enough. It was certainly the part of this card I felt the most unsure over. I'll probably end up making another version of this card at some point and I'll take your feedback into consideration. Thank you!
  • Lol thanks for your patience.

another thing ill mention with alfidor old eyes is that he can also bounce himself with his first loyalty ability... so ya, infinite divinations basically if you want it. Seem like this card can surge you ahead pretty well against an opposing control deck
  • Hey, thanks again for your patience!

Zenith the Tempting Hand

Here's my review for Zenith, the Temping Hand.

Mmhmmm... how deliciously temping indeed. This card definitely appeals to me when it comes to 1v1 formats. Here's what I'll point out.

Most of the power that comes from this card is the -1 and -3 abilities. The -1 will give you card advantage (either giving you a card or giving the opponent a card), and able to do that on a span of 3 turns is really powerful if you can keep it up. When this planeswalker is at 1 loyalty, you have an interesting decision; to find a good use for the +2 and continue drawing cards with this planeswalker, or you can draw one last card expecting for this planeswalker to die. (When I say "draw a card" I mean getting card advantage out of this planewalker.)

But yet again... the opponent gets to choose which cards to discard. So for example, lets say you're playing this planeswalker in a control shell with a lack of creatures (but maybe some big beaters to support this card's first ability, not that you 100% need them). That means your opponent's removal spells, lands, or any other cards when they don't need them. In that case, you may not be getting your fullest value out of this commander. OR, you can take that to your advantage and DO run some powerful creatures. This planeswalker could support them well after all. Lots to consider.

A lot of power from this card comes from it's versatility. Being able to force an opponent to sacrifice a nonland permanent is really nice when you need it. (Teferi, Hero of Dominaria does NOT like this one lol)

Overall, this card really intrigues me. It's such a super flavorful planeswalker that I'm loving it this much. Gameplay-wise, it's the kind of planeswalker that seems super powerful of the play but very punishing on the draw. A lot of stuff needs to go right for it to really be your bang for your buck. Is this card powerful enough? Maybe in the correct deck, yes. But is it still worth it to play? It's hard to know. I'd love this this card to have potential.

After all, I love the ideas going for this card. Props to you my guy. 95/100
  • edited July 17
    (@12SidedGuy)

Just tagging u for the post above  ^
  • Ah yes! Excuse my absence on the forums as I've been on a little family vacation. I'll be back very soon and back to Cardsmithing!

Alfidor being able to bounce himself was definitely an oversight I'll fix. Regarding Zenith, I'm glad you like it! I see the concerns of its power-level and I'll try to resolve those as well without removing the flavor and themes of the card. Thanks for the detailed responses. Cheers sir!
  • No problem I come and go on this website too haha. Hope u enjoyed ur vacation!