Mysteryfest League

Welcome to the Mysteryfest League!

The Mysteryfest League is open to everyone at any time! To join, just participate in any of my contests called "Mysteryfest" on the forums or Discord. You're automatically in the league once you join a Mysteryfest.

Key Points:
- Flexible, easy to access, and fair.
- Each season lasts 12 weeks (3 months) and is made up of different Mysteryfests.

Special Features:

Video Reviews & YouTube Exposure: Random entries will get a short video review (less than 1 minute) posted to YouTube Shorts.

Earn Points: You get 1 point for participating in each Mysteryfest, plus bonus points based on the Likes your YouTube Shorts videos receive.

Community Voting:
- At the end of each Mysteryfest, you can nominate your favorite card (not your own). You'll earn points equal to the number of votes your card gets.

Season Championship:
- At the end of each season, a single-elimination Mysteryfest will take place. You'll compete within your skill tier. Champions win a full-length 5-card video review and a YouTube Shorts video of their favorite card. 2nd place gets a Shorts video of their favorite card.

Points & Tiers:
- Points reset every season, but your total points determine your tier for the next season.
- Tiers only affect who you compete against in the Championship, not your ability to win points.

A-Tier (Top 20% of Points)
B-Tier (20-40% of Points)
C-Tier (40-60% of Points)
D-Tier (60-80% of Points)
E-Tier (Bottom 20% of Points)

*I may combine tiers any given season.

---

🚫 Be very careful replying to YouTube comments πŸ’¬ Ignore the negative ones πŸ§Œ Be nice to others and don't feel the need to comment on your own cards πŸ«’ Let the world blab away πŸ«£ It's honestly more fun that way πŸ˜Œ Grab some popcorn and enjoy the show! πŸΏπŸΉ

πŸ”—Links
β€’ The YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@321fly
β€’ The Leaderboard: https://challonge.com/mysteryfest

πŸ“… Seasons
β€’ January - March
β€’ April - June
β€’ July - September
β€’ October - December

Comments

• So im already in or do i have to join ?
  • Please rejoin!
  • So, am I correct that we get one card per week, but we have to post them here?  There's no more just passively making cards and having them count?  This brings up a bunch of other questions:
    Can we just post the same card every week if we think it'll win?
    Can we post really old cards?
    Can we post cards from other sites?
    Do we just not get to participate (or at least don't stand a chance of winning) if we aren't engaged every week?

Also, am I correct in that views is going to determine winners?  This sounds like it would be pretty easy to make this turn into a contest of who has the most friends rather than just relying on merit (not that I'm likely to win either way, but, as a teacher, I'm super wary of similar contest set ups, as they tend to just let the popular kids win everything).

Finally, for my last question, and with apologies for being perhaps overly interrogative and even a little critical, are we starting this in October with the new season, or are you hoping to go ahead and start now and get something in for September?
  • @StuffnSuch

You can reuse the same card each week, but you'll see why that's a lame idea.

You can post any card you've made, even from other sites.

If you don't submit a card each week, that's fine. I'll pick something random in your collection. You can also drop a set of cards up front for me to pull from if you think you'll be away awhile. Or even schedule them out.

The winning/losing the matches based on views is aside from the point. This aint about whose card is better designed or ready for print. The real purpose here is exposure. 

Starting in October to give people a chance to rejoin. Meanwhile, you can jump into the beta league.

πŸ“… Seasons
    β€’ January - March
    β€’ April - June
    β€’ July - September
    β€’ October - December
  • LvBLvB
    edited September 6
    Ok, then here's my first card for this ;)
    It might seem somewhat familiar xD

https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/countryspell
  • @LvB that artwork is great
    how do you make all your artwork?
  • LvBLvB
    edited September 7
    Cybertechnomagic! xD

Ok, first i use a paper and a pencil and draw a sketch. If it looks kinda ok, i scan it. Then i use MS Paint (and im not ashamed to admit it!) to color it and make some minor corrections. Then fine tuning starts and thats with photoshop. And sometimes i use AI.
  • @LvB

With the power of punctuation, I can turn "cybertechnomagic" into "cybertech- no magic."
  • We'll be sure not to let you near a psychotherapist then.
  • Spooktober Mysterfest

Halloween is early this year, because I say so. This is a contest that will run from 9/15/2024 - 10/31/2024. You enter as many times as you want. Each time you want to enter, tag me, asking "What's in my pumpkin?" or post these two emojis: πŸŽƒβ“ I'll reply on my haunted mobile device as quickly as possible. Sometimes there will be candy in your pumpkin. Most of the time, though, you'll only find a horrifying challenge to create a card. Post your card as an entry in this contest. Ask for another if you dare. πŸ’€

I must forewarn you, this Halloween's Spooktoberfest will be EPIC. If disgusting, bloody, and gooey things make you squeamish, you should hide this thread. The nightmares will be nightmarish, the blood everywhere, and the shadows will be dark. πŸ•ΈοΈπŸ‘»

Whenever I see an entry that is beyond my wildest nightmares, I will upload it with a short, yet disturbing review video to YouTube Shorts. At the end of the contest, I'll select 1 entry at random to win candy, and the top viewed cards on YouTube will also win more candy. 🍬🍬🍬
  • @jpastor

What does the candy do
  • I’m definitely in. πŸŽƒβ“
  • πŸŽƒβ“
  • @LHunter - Create a non-insect creature that creates multiple insect creatures when it dies

@Jadefire - Create a card for a spider web, making sure to capture the trapping aspect, and the spider feeding on its prey aspect.

@TheDarkKnight1234567 - Translate a "jump scare" into a magic card.
  • πŸŽƒβ“
  • @lvB Create a haunted artifact
  • LvBLvB
    edited September 20

Or did you mean an Artifact, that has the "haunt" ability?
  • @LvB no i meant artifact that is ... cursed/haunted that sort of thing
  • Create a card for a spider web, making sure to capture the trapping aspect, and the spider feeding on its prey aspect.
    https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/dread-strands

πŸŽƒβ“
  • πŸŽƒβ“
  • @Jadefire - Create a card where the cost to summon involves sacrificing more than just creatures...
    @LHunter - Design a spell that resurrects the dead but leaves their sanity in tatters.