Artful August, The Fifth Annual!

2»

Comments

• @theirintheattic Yep! I have a Pentel Graphgear mechanical for detail and some tombow and koh-i-noor B-scales for shading. 
  • @MozVCalenosu do you have an artstation page?
  • @Faiths_Guide
    yes i am from Perú, and the landscape, well i tried to represent a mountainous desert from amonkhet.
    maybe the detail is to small in the card but add the Nicol Bolas horns on the rock structures.
  • @Ranshi
    yes, you can visit my artstation profile here:

www.artstation.com/mozvcalenosu

or my instagram, where also post some traditional illustrations:

www.instagram.com/moz.v.calenosu/

• Today marks the end of Artful August and we really love all these wonderful entries! I will officially close this in 24 hours since I will be in bed before Midnight, so there is a wee bit of extra time if anyone thinks they can pull off a super last minute entry!
  • edited September 2022
    Created under 2 hours with ink artist pens and colored pencils.

At Her Majestys Behest

This art depicts an elemental of some sort, holding a golden cardsmith symbol. I've long been thinking of a custom card that would let caster search for other custom cards from their decks. I also thought it would be funny if the cardsmith logo actually appeared in the "Custom Card Tutor's" artwork.
  • @MozVCalenosu
    I got Amonkhet immediately, and the Bolas horns are very tastefully done. Nice work! 
  • @MozVCalenosu would you mind if I use some of your art in cards?
  • @Ranshi 
    its graet they liked my illustrations so much that they wanted to use it as mtg card art, so don't worry, it's fine if you use some of my illustrations, I'd just ask for my name to appear, as the card illustrator. 
    (I used google translate to write this, sorry if it's misspelled)
  • Thank you everyone who made art for this year's Artful August! Everyone did an incredible job and once we get all of the voting completed we will announce the winners and distribute prizes!!
  • No more entries will be accepted at this point!
  • The quality of entries this year has been absolutely astounding. I am blown away by this community's creativity!
  • edited September 2022
    @Temurzoa
    Hello there, Bud!
  • Please excuse the delay, we are awaiting one final judges votes and then results will be posted!
  • wait, am I too late to submit anything?
  • Thank you everyone who participated with favorites, voting and all of the wonderful art! 

We have selected this years winners from your submissions, but first a few words about the art.

@Caimon - Wonderful art. We felt it would have been nice to have the original art to look at and see it in a larger format and higher quality. 

@Mythril - Your colors and digital art were greatly appreciated. As with Caimon we would have also like to have seen your higher resolution artwork.

@Globert-the-Martian - We always love your entries. We generally liked it, and thought it was both fun and sad.

@Faiths_Guide - It's always a treat when you create an entry. I personally loved that you put it in the Saga frame. I do feel like I've seen this art previously, but overall it was well liked.

@KorandAngels - Truly you created a masterpiece of epic proportions. I expected a creature from the Hollow Knight saga, and it was nice to see an instant to mix things up. 

@theirintheattic - A very cohesive effort on your part here. The art, the card and the flavor all worked well together. Great job!

@crawdadswelcome - You get high praise from everyone on your skill as an artist and your technique in using light and depth in your works. Wonderful craftsmanship. We collectively agree that the card itself is a bit strong, but still a great job!

@MozVCalenosu - We weren't expecting a Mountain, and this is another great example of why adding bigger pieces to your submissions is a great idea. Some of the finer details get lost in the card art but getting to see the bigger picture really elevates this piece.

@TenebrisNemo - Way to go with the last minute entry! Humorous and well designed!

And our final results...

Best Pencil Drawing: @Faiths_Guide - Soldier's Call
    - 1 month of premium
    Best Traditional Art Award: @Caimon - Khoranth, Black Dragon
    - $25 Amazon gift card
    Best Artwork Award: @theirintheattic - Dreamscape Guide
    - Custom MTGCS Avatar from your original Artwork
    3rd Place: @crawdadswelcome - Sulfuric Nimbus
    - $10 Amazon gift card + 1 month of premium
    2nd Place: @MozVCalenosu - Mountain
    - $25 Amazon gift card + 1 month of premium 
    1st Place: @theirintheattic - Dreamscape Guide 
    - $50 Amazon gift card + 2 months of premium

Winners will be contacted in DM's for their prizes!
  • Well I was not expecting that. Thank you, and congratulations to everyone else!
  • Congrats to all the winners and participants!

@FireOfGolden - Next year might be your year!
  • Aight, when this starts again, mention me! I don't want to miss it!
  • Congrats to all winners! It was a joy entering, even if I didn't expect to win anything!